Grey water drainage is separate from septic but sharing same vent

Old 09-19-19, 06:20 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grey water drainage is separate from septic but sharing same vent

Let me elaborate the title a little bit.

Near the middle of the house, there is a toilet and sink which both drain into a main drain to our septic tank.

I'm installing a washer/dryer near there. The drainage for that is completely separate from the septic drain, and goes out to a grey water drain.

Here's my issue though. I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to run the vent for that new grey water drain, due to poor access and having to go through the second story.

So my question is, what if I connect my vent to the already established vent pipe for the sink and toilet nearby? Is this acceptable even though the grey water goes to one place and the septic to another?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-19, 11:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 122 Posts
First off, are you sure gray water drains are still allowed in your area? I was under the impression that they are not allowed anymore just about everywhere.

But going back to your vent question, I don't see any reason they can't share the same vent. As long as:
1) There's nothing draining above it (wet vent)
2) You're still using a trap on your washer vent, which I assume you would be anyway.

I have no idea if it's code compliant, I've never read any codes about gray water plumbing systems... but otherwise, I don't see an issue.

Old 09-23-19, 11:20 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it's legal here. We're in the boonies, in the middle of nowhere and it's one of the few places it still is. Maybe not on newer builds, but possibly grandfathered in on older ones. The pipes are all there. I'm just moving the washer/dryer further back in the house and using the same drain pipes. So any new pipes are just the ones within the house itself. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not a wet vent.