Accidentally shut off wrong water valve and now hot water won't work

Old 10-27-19, 10:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Accidentally shut off wrong water valve and now hot water won't work

New homeowner. I was trying to drain the outside hose to prep for winter. I thought I found the right valve (located in ceiling in the basement), turned it off and then ran the water outside. It wasn't the right valve, but then I noticed that the shower head in the basement washroom had started leaking. The hot water isn't working for both the shower and sink, only the cold water works. What went wrong?

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-19, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
You turned off the hot water line feed for the home or area of the home. Turn that valve back on..

The shower was leaking when this valve was off because its a balancing cartridge in the shower. When you lose pressure on one side the other side will bleed through and show as a drip or dribble. In your case the cold side leaking through.

Those two valves are hot and cold it looks like for a branch circuit in your home..

Old 10-27-19, 12:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Mike. All the valves are set back to how they used to be but unfortunately, no luck. The left one was always in off position, it spurts water out of the top if turned on. I'm guessing by turning the valves off and on, that I may have broken or dislodged something? May just end up having to call a plumber tomorrow.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: