Utility sink wont drain

Old 11-23-19, 11:16 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Utility sink wont drain

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  13.2 KBHello, I have a washer utility drain that seems to be clogged. Usually when the washer drains, it drains into the standpipe which leads to a 2 way split between going through the drain line and a second path leading up a utility sink.Today, I tried doing a load and the water would not drain from the utility tub (normally it drains rather slowly already). There was also instances where water was backing out of the standpipe and I had to plunge it a while to get some black slime looking stuff out. It started flowing into the tub again but the tub would not drain. Would this be a problem with a clogged p-trap? Plunging repeatedly does not seem to cause the water to drain, only the gurgling sounds of water in the rest of the drain (and water coming up with black or nasty looking particles). I tried using a manual auger but could not pull anything out (perhaps i'm using it wrong.)

Last edited by johnknee; 11-23-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-24-19, 06:20 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
"doing a load and the water would not drain from the utility tub"
Not sure what the above means.
Does it mean that you were doing a load of wash in the washer and the water was backing up into the utility tub?
If yes then the clog is probably past the TY fitting.

On most sinks the P-trap is removable so I would remove it and then you should be able to snake down the run to the stack.
Also what are your pipes made of?

Old 11-24-19, 07:38 AM
J
Yeah a load of wash. Typically the water always backs up the utility sink because its a slightly older house so the pipes might be too small for the drain to handle. It normally comes up the sink and drains slowly away over time. It didn't do that this time. If I was to snake the line, how would I do it properly. Just reach the auger all the way through the line until it cannot go any further and spin it? I can reach the line via the standpipe on the back.
The pipe feels plastic, definitely not metal. Not too sure if thats what you meant.Could be PVC? not too sure

Old 11-24-19, 08:42 AM
M
Yes that is how you would snake it.

Does the trap under the sink come off?
If yes then you could snake through there. Always better to snake as straight a line as possible.
If you do undo it just make sure that you have a pail to catch all the water that will drain out.

If it does not come apart then the stand pipe is the next best thing but if it has a sharp 90 degree elbow you will probably have problems.

If it is black plastic then it will be PVC.

Old 11-24-19, 09:12 AM
J
SO I tried angering it both through the utility sink hole and through the standpipe. The auger seems to be unable to pass through pretty far down the line. I’m not sure if it’s a turn that it’s having trouble with or a blockage. The auger wouldn’t turn properly because the cord seems to bend a lot.

Old 11-24-19, 09:16 AM
M
Does the trap under the sink come off?

Old 11-24-19, 09:32 AM
J
I’m about to try to take it off via use of a wrench. Should I be worried that while plunging I can hear water gurgling through the pipe. Will everything just splash out the moment the trap is off?

Old 11-24-19, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You will definitely have some water coming from the trap. Since it sounds like the clog is downstream..... there shouldn't be too much water in the drain pipe.

If someone is using water while you are snaking you will hear running water.

Old 11-24-19, 09:39 PM
J
Thank you everyone for all the help. Ended up hiring someone to fix it as it was a very hectic procedure (the downward drain connecting the laundry line with the upstairs kitchen was clogged heavily and needed snaking).

*Is there any way to collect the lint coming out of the laundry drain as shown in the image? The laundry drain pump leads into a standpipe connected to the wall and the drain goes into the wall, making a left turn onto the utility sink. I understand that using a lint catcher would be possible if the drain pump instead drained into the utility sink, but is there any way to stop lint going into the standpipe?

Old 11-25-19, 09:09 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If it is black plastic then it will be PVC

In the U.S., black plastic drains are generally ABS and not PVC.

Old 11-25-19, 09:14 AM
J
You are totally right. It does seem like I have the ABS pipes. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-25-19, 09:19 AM
M
OOPS!!!
I also agree with ABS
Must have had my head up my you know what!!!!!

Old 11-25-19, 10:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Is there any way to collect the lint coming out of the laundry drain as shown in the image?
You can still use a lint trap for the pipe turning into the standpipe, but you'll have to remind yourself somehow to change/clean it occasionally. When it's in the sink, you'll at least see it gunking up.

If the piping is clear, a bit of lint going down the pipes shouldn't be an issue. But if you already have a slowdown or clog, the lint certainly won't help it.

Old 11-26-19, 03:28 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, They make a lint catcher for washing machines. It looks like a metal sock. It fits on the end of the hose attached with nylon ties. I strongly suggest you don't use the ties but rather use an adjustable hose clamp so the filter doesn't come loose and go down the drain.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 12-01-19, 01:00 PM
J
Thank you for the suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: