Cast iron piping

Old 09-11-22, 06:43 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Cast iron piping

I rented a machine to un clog my 1950 piping. Removed a few roots and baby wipe my wife decided to use . About a foot in the pipe clean out I chipped a 1” hole . Directly in block wall or just to the exterior. If I follow the same configuration as the cast iron would it be code ? On exterior I’d go 4” pvc to a fern cliff rubber transition of some sort. I’m a35 yr mechanical contractor and have the tools and some knowledge. Usually only run hvac drains ectt

Old 09-11-22, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Sorry.... I've read this several times and cannot figure what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to replace the cast iron thru the wall ?
Chipped a 1" hole ...... inside the pipe ??!?!?

Old 09-12-22, 03:52 AM
I’m gonna have to replace the 4 fittings and maybe a few ft under ground. My concern was not doing it correctly. I’m just gonna replace all fittings exactly how old is . I was frustrated when I wrote the original thread if not clear.

Old 09-12-22, 10:46 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Yes, you can keep the same basic configuration, but realize the sizes of everything in PVC is going to be a bit different. So you may need an extension here or shift a little there.

Fix whatever is going on with the vent. I don't know why there's tape on it, but there shouldn't be.

Also, dig down outside first to see what you're dealing with. It may be CI for a ways, or it could transition to clay or another type of piping. You need to get a proper underground rated rubber coupler that goes from PVC to CI. I'd recommend something like this (instead of a cheaper rubber coupler)

Lastly, look into sealing the hole from the outside properly so you don't have groundwater infiltration. I'll defer to others since there are a few ways to seal the foundation reliably.

Old 09-12-22, 03:30 PM

Thank for your response. Not sure what the other pipe material is . Since I only have 1 bath I was told it would be fine running just 3”? . Your link showing the transition clamp will that adjust to different size materials? I do have an account with the supply house and will order.

Old 09-12-22, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If that's 4" .... stay with 4". It would not make much sense to reduce the size.
Not sure 3" would even be accepted for a sewer main.

Old 09-13-22, 09:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like PVC. It could be white SDR, which is basically thinner PVC with a slightly different composition.

There are different clamps that will transition cast iron to different materials. A local supply house should have what you need.

And I agree, don't downsize to 3". I assume that white pipe is 4" though hard to tell.

Old 09-13-22, 10:25 AM
I decided to run 4” at least into the basement. I would like a long radious 4”however it may bring me to high up for my other tees .I may have to use a short tee like the old cast iron was in order to have room above. ?
the white pipe outside looks like a fiberous type material that I can scratch off . Not pvc .

Old 09-13-22, 10:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Now would be a great time to install a clean-out outside the home. This would allow you to clear a clog in the drain from the outside.

Your pipe underground might be Orangeburg, a paper and tar pipe product made into the mid 70's. The remaining pipe may still be good but be careful when attaching your new pipe. Don't over clamp and crush or damage the older pipe.

At times like this I like to drive some rebar spikes on either side of the end of the old pipe. Leave the rebar a few inches below grade so it's safe for mowing. The metal will make it easier to find the end of the old pipe when it needs to be replaced. I've also made small copper tags that I permanently attach to the house saying "old Orangeburg pipe starts 26" out from this point" or something like that to make finding it easier in the future.

Old 09-13-22, 11:00 AM
Hi Pilot Dane, I am adding clean out on the outside as well as inside because it was a hassle lugging the machine into the basement. I think it is Orangeburg type. Would you clamp to that or clamp to the cast iron being steel.

Old 09-13-22, 01:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It will be difficult to remove or cut the cast iron without damaging the connection to the Orangeburg. I usually cut the Orangeburg first so there is a clean, undamaged end to connect to. Then do whatever you need to with the cast iron to remove it.

Old 09-14-22, 03:40 AM

This would be my plan today .

Old 09-14-22, 11:43 AM

Ended up being black pvc pipe with a coating on the exterior.

Old 09-15-22, 09:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Nice work! Looks great, nice and clean.

coolmen voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: