Old hose bibb - repair or replace?

Old 04-20-23, 09:47 AM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
Old hose bibb - repair or replace?

This old hose bibb must be original to my 1988 house. It leaks. We've been capturing the leak water in a bucket, but that's getting old.

I thought about repairing it, but it's so old, maybe i'm better off replacing it with a new one.

The question is, how do I avoid marring the pipe the bibb is screwed onto? I know I'll have to hold onto the pipe to keep it from turning. A pliers would probably scratch the pipe. Is there a better way?

Old 04-20-23, 10:07 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You could plan on removing/replacing both the valve as well as that 3" nipple that's going into the tee.

I'd still put a pipe wrench on the tee, but because of how it's mounted, you'll probably see less 'damage' other than where the teeth bite in. You can always replace it with a shiny brass or stainless nipple to match the new valve.

If you're really worried about it, those valves are pretty easily repaired though. Turn off the water, unscrew the nut that's holding the handle on and replace the washer. It'll be a $0.10 fix (probably $1.25 now since you likely have to buy a package of washers...)

Old 04-20-23, 12:20 PM
Well, now that I practically sprained my hand trying to remove the bibb, I realize that's not a 3" nipple. It's part of the bibb, which has an extended shank like the one below. The good news it should be easy to replace. The bad news is I'm headed back to the hardware store.

I did try repairing the old one, but its parts are all rusted together and I couldn't take it apart enough to replace the washer.

Old 04-20-23, 12:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I just repaired a similar one for my son about a month ago. Hardest part was digging out the pieces of the old washer and finding the correct replacement size. If it wasn't for that it would have been less than 5 minute job.

Old 04-22-23, 05:31 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Well, now that I practically sprained my hand trying to remove the bibb, I realize that's not a 3" nipple. It's part of the bibb
Sorry to lead you astray with that one. Glad you figured it out and seems like a nice easy replacement.

Old 04-22-23, 05:39 PM
Well, looking at the photo, it fooled my house painters also.

These long shank hose bibbs are apparently unusual enough that my local stores don't stock them and I had to order one from Ace. Arriving Tuesday...

Old 04-30-23, 01:47 PM
My replacement hose bibb finally arrived. Should I use pipe thread compound or teflon tape when installing it?

Old 04-30-23, 02:53 PM
Should I use pipe thread compound or teflon tape?
I got impatient, searched around, and found it's largely a preference. I used tape and it's all perfect and leak-free.

Old 05-01-23, 03:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
tape is what I always use

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: