Water pressure adjustment

Old 06-25-23, 09:13 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water pressure adjustment

Hello all - I accidentally discovered that the water pressure in my townhouse is 100 psi. I know this is not a good thing so I am looking to drop it to 75 psi. Here is a photo of the regulator, and I seek help in how to adjust downward without causing a disaster. Can't afford disasters lol.

I think I have to loosen the nut, and screw OUT to reduce the pressure but just want to be sure. Also, how much turning should I do between pressure checks?. Should I shut off the water completely before the regulator?. I have ball valves on both sides. This is original from the builder (2002). Not sure why someone painted all over it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-23, 10:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I can't never remember which direction to turn it so I attach my pressure gauge to a hose bib so I don't go too far the wrong way. You can buy one at any big box for $10-$15.

Old 06-26-23, 04:18 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I pretty sure that turning clockwise increases pressure.

Old 06-26-23, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,118 Upvotes on 1,897 Posts
Generally you remove (turn counter clockwise) the screw to lower the pressure. If using a pressure gauge you won't see the pressure drop unless water is being used somewhere in the house to relieve the pressure. If you are adjusting the pressure up, you would see that on the gauge, but down you have to run water to see the drop.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-26-23, 10:38 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 416 Upvotes on 369 Posts
Don't be too surprised if turning the adjustment screw doesn't do anything.

I've never run across a PRV that just increased pressure where an adjustment can bring it back down. More likely, the PRV failed and will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

(Of course try adjusting it - hopefully I'm wrong!)

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 06-26-23, 03:35 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK thanks. I'll have a stiff drink, say a prayer, and go counter clockwise. I starting to think this regulator is toast and should be replaced, but I'll give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: