Testing for leaks

Old 07-03-23, 06:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Testing for leaks

I believe something in my house is making me sick. Over the past few years I'm constantly getting sinus infections which leads me to believe that I have a super problem inside the house. Sometimes I can go into my bathroom and it will smell like a sewer every so often. It's not every day and it's not all the time. The seal on the toilet was replaced 3 years ago but the problem has been before that. Is there a test that I can do on my own without having to call someone?

Old 07-03-23, 06:45 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
FWIW...just some suggestions. Many questions need to be asked. In no particular order, here are some thoughts.
You need to see a doctor first and foremost to determine what kind of aliment you have that may or may not be affected by your living quarters.
Look at all your sink traps and make sure they are code compliant and in good shape. An "S" trap is not compliant.
Look for mold in all areas where moisture may collect.
What are your humidity levels like? Maybe a dehumidifier might help.
Is the condition in all seasons?
What kind of heating/AC system (forced air)?
Do you have a basement. Is it always damp?
Is it a single dwelling or multiple dwelling with others?
How old is the house? Might you have an asbestos problem?
If the toilets don't leak then most likely they are fine.
And last but not least, how old are you? With age comes problems. Every morning I wake up with sever sinus problems that dissipate as I begin to do my daily activities.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: