Garden Bibb from Hell

Old 08-23-23, 08:34 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Garden Bibb from Hell

So I was trying to replace my outside garden bibb and the copper itself bent off. So here's the other side of the stucco that's inside my garage:

I can't really use a torch since it causes other materials to smoke, even with a heat pad. Also, I can push that bottom piece in but it doesn't want to come out the other way.

Any ideas? Also, what's that copper tab against the wall?

Thanks!

Last edited by PJmax; 08-23-23 at 09:24 PM. Reason: resized pic
Old 08-23-23, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
That copper piece is a strap that kept the copper pipe solid against the stud.
At least that's what it's designed to do. Tough when the pipe is insulated.

You can solder there. Wet the wood and use a heat blanket.

Can't tell how the pipe is attached to the valve.
It may be soldered on which means you'd need to cut the pipe.

Old 08-24-23, 10:02 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 425 Upvotes on 378 Posts
I would be careful soldering there, it looks like the copper pipe is connected to PEX before the pipe goes into the insulation.

I assume you don't have PEX tools, the best solution would be to cut off the copper/PEX connector and start from the PEX out to the new bibb.
The second option is I'd get a new bibb and use either copper or even threaded brass fittings up to a SharkBite to the existing copper. The threaded brass will be a few dollars more, but will allow you to make the connections without using multiple SharkBite fittings nor soldering copper in the wall. So you have a few options.

Old 08-24-23, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Ahhhh...that makes sense.
Connected to PEX would require the copper to be fastened to the stud for rigidity.

Old 08-25-23, 11:38 AM
O
So here's the end result. I first cut the horizontal piece of copper and attached it to a 90 elbow, soldered them separate, then slid it into the hole to the outer wall, mounted a copper joint to the top part and then cut a final piece of copper that connected the two bodies vertically. I did use a heat blanket draped over the top and held together with black tape but some of the surrounding materials did get hot and started to smolder, but nothing seemed to break.

The only problem is that the joints and such aren't perfectly cut but there doesn't seem to be any leaks as of now. The other side of the horizontal pipe is attached to a shark bite garden bibb.

I'll tether the pipes to the wood before finishing the drywall.

What do you think?

Old 08-25-23, 01:44 PM
O
Alright and here's the final product, just before repatching drywall. Secured the PEX insulation with zip ties so it doesn't move up and down the pipe and screwed the copper into the stud with the retainer clips as photoed. Places a piece of folded cardboard so the outside bibb isn't sideways. Lot's of fun, and playing with fire made me feel like a kid again! LOL

Let me know if you approve!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: