Basement drain

Old 11-12-23, 10:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement drain

I have a basement drain that the furnace and humidifier drain into. It is not draining, water just works itself over to basement wall, about 2 feet away. I can only run the snake in about 8-10 feet, but nothing coming back with the snake.
Not sure if this ties into the sump, which runs very often. Would a plumbers snake make it further down the line?
House is only about 3 years old.
Looking for things to try before calling in a plumber.

Old 11-12-23, 11:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,261 Upvotes on 2,014 Posts
The drain should exit to daylight or into a sump. You can snake backwards from the sump to see if that allows you to clear the clog.

Your snake is small for that size line which could cause you some issues or there is something solid blocking the line. A larger snake might be able to break up or remove the clog or might do no better.

Old 11-14-23, 10:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
In an old house, you have no idea where a drain like that goes. In a new house, as Dane mentioned, it most likely will go to the sump.

If there was a trap in it, it would be directly below the drain. So you're hitting something.

Has it ever drained? I wonder if it just stops at the sump basin and they never cut a hole in the basin to accept the pipe.

You might need to get a camera down that pipe to see what's actually there.. You can get some inexpensive endoscopes, which might be a more DIY solution than a plumber.

Old 11-14-23, 01:30 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem ended up being the nearby back flow valve was stuck closed. The plumber recommended to just remove the flapper since the slimy water from the furnace will just make it stick again. That drain does exit to the city sewer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: