Faucet Hexhead Screw Extraction

Old 11-28-23, 08:07 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Faucet Hexhead Screw Extraction

I need to replace some washers/seals in a Rohl kitchen faucet. I need to remove a 2mm stainless screw that's stripped. I've tried penetrating oil and heat but the hex wrench is just making the stripped head worse. I've ordered a #0 screw extractor but would sure like to finish this project ASAP.
Are there any other "tricks" I can try? Should the #0 extractor work?
PS - I also tried putting a rubber band around the wrench but no joy.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 11-28-23, 11:05 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
Grind the tip of an old screw driver so it slices into hex sides before hitting bottom of hex. Then try turning. Another approach, if you have a reversible drill, get a left hand drill bit, diameter of hex wrench, and drill out center of screw. Push hard while drilling so screw unscrews hopefully.

Old 11-28-23, 11:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
Since it's already stripped your sort of stuck with what you've got. There are a number of tricks to do before stripping the head out but after it's stripped, it's stripped and you have to go to plan B, C or D.

Where is the screw located?
How much of the screw or head is exposed?

Old 11-28-23, 01:39 PM
K
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Much appreciated. After posting, I tried the screwdriver approach but it wouldn't bite. It seems that the set screw has such soft metal and easily deforms. I do have a reversing drill but no left hand bit or quick access to any.
I bought a set of screw extractors hoping that a #1 might work. It calls for a 7/64 bit and says to tap the extractor in with a hammer. I always thought that the extractor was put in a drill or tap wrench and turned counterclockwise. I tried first with a tap wrench and then with a drill but the treads just wouldn't engage the drill hole. None of the screw projects above the faucet housing.
I'm tempted to use a larger bit but as you can see from the photo, my hole isn't centered very well and I'll probably destroy the threads. I do have a tap set and considered enlarging the hole, tapping it and using a larger set screw.
The screw is near the base of the fauced where the neck pivots.
Not sure what to do next.

Drilled 2mm set screw

Old 11-28-23, 02:49 PM
K
UPDATE !!
I decided to give the screw driver one more try. I got 2 pieces of the threaded part out and the rest came out with a shake. I had to remove the faucet from the sink/countertop but a small price to pay in order to slay this beast.
Photo of replacement screw attached. Won't find that at the hardware store. Glad I didn't over drill and tap with a larger size. It would have been game over.
Now I'm off to buy a lottery ticket !!!
Thanks again for your interest and help.

Old 11-29-23, 04:34 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
Replacement screw is a pan head, not a set screw. The pan head requires a minimum length. If the bottom of the pan head screw contacts the flat on the internal part before the pan head contacts the body of the cover, the joint is tight, otherwise not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: