Sewer line/water pipe extension question - not DIY

Old 12-19-23, 12:19 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer line/water pipe extension question - not DIY

Just trying to see if an idea is feasible. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, but would need to have sewer and water lines added back there. House is a ranch on slab, no basement. My bathroom faces the back yard, and there is a cement patio (about 10 feet long) between the bathroom and the yard. So, I guess I'd need a new sewer line tied into the one from the toilet, and run under the patio to the back yard area, as well as a new water line. Any ideas from the experts here on a ballpark cost? Thanks in advance for any advice and info!

Old 12-19-23, 01:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,269 Upvotes on 2,021 Posts
Impossible to tell with so little information. But, it may be cheaper to run a separate line from the ADU to the sewer or septic instead of trying to tie into the house. Elevation will be an issue since it's best to keep drains operating by gravity but you can install a pump and tank if needed.

flukeslapper voted this post useful.
Old 12-19-23, 04:04 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Pilot Dane! I originally figured on running a new line from the back yard down the side of the property, and tying it into the sewer line in the front yard. (Same for the water supply line) The new line would have to run close to 50 feet, I estimate. Was told by a contractor friend (not a plumbing expert) that the run would be too long, elevation-wise. I didn't know you could add a pump and tank to overcome that obstacle. I'd rather keep the line outside, especially since I only have the one bathroom, and they'd have to tear it up pretty good. What other info might help you in determining whether the cost would be too high to consider the project?

Old 12-20-23, 09:31 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
The new line would have to run close to 50 feet, I estimate. Was told by a contractor friend (not a plumbing expert) that the run would be too long, elevation-wise.
It depends on the depth of the sewer at the street. Maybe your friend knows the depth, but it's not a generic depth. (the sewer pipe outside my house is at about 8' deep.

I too would try to keep the two main drains separate and tie them together outside if at all possible. This way, one clog will only affect one structure and couldn't back up into the other one.

I'd only consider tying into the house plumbing if either there's no way to get a gravity drain. Pump would be my last resort if there really is no other option.

It might be worth getting a plumber out or even ask the town/city about the depth of the sewer. They can tell by opening up a nearby manhole and measuring down. That would at least be a starting point.

flukeslapper voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: