Issues With Dry Well

Old 05-25-24, 08:15 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Issues With Dry Well

I have a small trench drain in front of attached garage that about a year ago I had a contractor connect a dry well to. The issue is I'm still getting flooded everytime theres heavy rains. Even 20 minutes of heavy rain will be enough for the trench drain to overflow I recently had a plumber come out with a roto router to check for clogs and he didn't find anything.

As luck would have it I stumbled upon an older video I took of my contractor installing the dry well and perhaps I'm going crazy but it appears the drainage line connects to the dry well at the bottom of the tank. Could anyone view the video I posted on Youtube and confirm? Is this akin to trying to fill a bathtub by pouring in water from the bottom of the tub? Ie its impossible to fill the tank and my only solution is to dig up the drywell and bury it a few feet deeper so the drainage line connects to the top?

As you can see from my photos I get quite a bit of water in this recessed area as the rest of my house including my driveway is more elevated and pitches downwards so water from my driveway, front of the house, yard finds itself in this area.

Many thanks for the help!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LPE-ODVJumw

Old 05-25-24, 08:17 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Apologies for some reason my images aren't attaching properly so posting more photos here for reference

https://imgur.com/a/Ji49JsV

Old 05-26-24, 07:51 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
It is not conventional to drain water into a dry well by piping into its bottom but that might be needed if the entering pipe has to be well below tghe ground surface for example below the frost line.

If a dry well overflows and the water returns to the house foundation, then you need to do or add add something else to get rid of the water. Maybe a sump pump. Maybe regrade the land so the overflow goes away from the house. You finish the story.

Old 05-26-24, 09:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
A major problem with dry wells and French drains are they can fill up. It is entirely possible that your dry well is simply filling up and without anywhere for the water to go everything fills up, including your driveway. If at all possible I would drain your driveway to daylight but that requires someplace downhill to send the water.

Old 05-26-24, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
If at all possible I would drain your driveway to daylight but that requires someplace downhill to send the water.
The alternative is to pump it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: