natural small bog

Old 01-31-16, 06:40 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
natural small bog

Hi. I have a small bog back in my woods. It's pretty shallow and pitch black! It's on such a nice part of my property. I'd really like to clean it some how to make it more like a pond that I could have fish in. Any ideas how to do this? There is no water flow to it but it remains the same level year round..

Last edited by greenleaves; 01-31-16 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-16, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 37 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

How small is small and how deep?

How you reduce turbidity in a pond depends on what the suspended material is and what is causing it to be suspended.
Black water could be suspended mud or rotting vegetation either stirred up from being very shallow or something moving through it.
Any cows or moose walking by?

Someone else here may have more experience in dealing with this or most gov't agricultural departments will also have info.

Old 01-31-16, 07:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
or most gov't agricultural departments will also have info.
Most gov agencies are worthless but the US Geological Services is excellent. At least, they will know what a bog is. I didn't.

Old 01-31-16, 08:08 PM
G
Sorry, I call it a bog. A large dirty puddle might be better? Lol its probably 10 x 30 ft. 2 ft deep maybe? Wish I could post a picture.. there's very little vegetation in it. I'm not sure if anything is walking thru it. Deer and elk are in the area though

Old 01-31-16, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
That's pretty small.
You could try to pump it out and see if it quickly fills with ground water.
You may be able to pump it, put some plastic liner on the bottom, put a layer of gravel on the plastic and fill it with clean water.

You would then need to install a filter system and water circulating pump.

Old 02-01-16, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
Old 02-01-16, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
We just finished a two month long project of building a 6' wide walkway, 350' long through a bog area set aside by Georgia's Department of Natural Resources as a wetland. Every hole, when punched with a 15" auger immediately filled with water. We had to precast all footings and place in hole with a track hoe.

I think the problem with your area will be no water flowing into or out of it. Water will stagnate and attract mosquitoes. Of course we don't know where you are located, so it may not be a problem.

Name:  Cupid Falls 1.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  47.1 KB

Old 02-01-16, 08:00 AM
G
Old 02-01-16, 08:04 AM
G
Screenshot_2016-02-01-09-51-18-1_zps7epk6sgo.png Photo by NGreenleaf12 | Photobucket

Hopefully these work. One picture is obviously winter but you can get an idea of the size. The other one is the only summer picture I can find and it's in a collage. I live in northern michigan. We do have mosquitos in our woods. If after draining it, lining it and refilling it, I imagine they have some type of solar powered filtration system? No way I could get power back there.

Old 02-01-16, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
We live in a similarly wooded area and can say that keeping a pond that size clear of debris and dead plant matter would be a challenge.
Any filter you use would plug up in no time.
It still might be worth making more attractive but making it clean enough for fish might be too maintenance intensive.

Old 02-01-16, 12:46 PM
G
I would definitely settle for more attractive. I'd love to have a bench out there and not be afraid some mud covered swamp thing would climb out lol

Old 02-02-16, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 690 Votes on 637 Posts
Fish could help control the mosquitoes but it would have to be deep for them to survive a winter and getting deep is difficult with such a small size. It's also very small to support much of a fish population though minnows would probably survive if it's deep enough. Your county agricultural extension office should be able to help you with remediation ideas and what fish might survive in such a small pond.

Is the site accessible to heavy machinery? If so a excavator/track hoe could muck it out and make it a bit deeper. This would help two ways. One it would make it deeper which is better for fish. And, it would remove a lot of dead and decaying mater from the bottom which is probably what's turning the water brown/black and contributing to what I assume is low oxygen in the water (bad for fish).

I would not bother with lining or filtration unless you plan on investing a lot of time and money maintaining it. What you have is a wetland or bog and it seems Mother Nature made it that way so anything you do to change that will likely be fighting Mother Nature. It can be done but it often takes a fair bit of work and money and it's usually not a one time deal. Whatever you do will likely require some amount of maintenance.