Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Hayward pool heater gas valve or replacement parts

Old 07-13-16, 08:57 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replaced the gas valve each of the last 3 years on my Hayward HD100 heater. They cost around $300-355. This time I did some diagnostics and found that the problem is the solenoid coil. This would be a $5 part if it were available as those for other valves are, but I can't find a source for it. The valve is very similar to others available several places for around $55, but not exact, or I would spring for the entire valve. But to spend about half the cost of the entire heater each year is getting ridiculous. I'm looking for help to find a 120 volt valve equal to a White Rodgers 36J32A-502, or a coil that will work. Thank you.

Old 07-13-16, 09:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You might find a motor repair shop willing to rewind them if the problem is the coil burning out.

Old 07-13-16, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,836 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I've seen the Hayward valves around for a lot less than you are paying.
Do you know the Hayward part # for your valve ?

Is that the full and correct model number of your heater ?

I don't know of and don't see a universal replacement listed for the 120v Hayward valve.

I've never had to replace a gas valve in a Hayward and you've been thru three in three years. I'd say something is drastically wrong. Are the coils burning open ?

Old 07-16-16, 10:16 AM
P
Thank you ray2047. I'll look around, but my assumption is that they're not going to fool with these tiny coils, and if they did the cost would be 20 times the cost of a new one. Maybe they can find a match though.

Old 07-16-16, 10:28 AM
P
(Lost my nice long reply, trying again) Thank you PJmax. I've seen the valves online also for around $300, you may have seen a different one. My problem is that when I realize the valve is bad I need the heater the following day so I have to go to a local dealer. The heater is HD100ID1, valve is IDXVAL1931. I see a very similar valve, but 24 volts, for around $55. I assume the OEM one is the only 120 volt one to make it unique for Hayward, so they can charge a ridiculous price. I assume the coils are burning open, I put 120 volts to it and the plunger doesn't move. I don't know if a continuity test would work. From reading other forums it appears that these things are prone to all kinds of problems, almost a throw-away since many parts cost half the price of the entire unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: