Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Help with pool diamondbrite deteriorating

Old 07-25-16, 09:56 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. So on a step I have in the deep end, I ended up with what I believe was a metal stain from some fertilizer I used in a nearby plant. In an effort to remove the stain my pool guy poured powdered chlorine into the area each week he came by. I also used a hard brissel brush and would try to rub some of it off. At some point I also used a pumice stone.

Fast forward a couple weeks and now I see most of the stain is gone however now there are parts that are super bright/clean, however I dont believe this is good. When I rub my hand over it, it feels rough almost like the top layer of the diamondbrite is gone.

In my infinity wisdom I used the pumice stone again and it seems like its turning the small spot I did into the same thing. So not sure if its the stone or the combination of chlorine and stone.

In any event I want to get advice on how to fix this or make it look as close as possible to normal. I was debating resurfacing however not looking to redo the entire pool for an area that is 1ft x 1ft, although it is quite the eye sore.

Any tips for a laymen would be appreciated!

Old 07-25-16, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A diamondbrite step in the deep end ?
Diamondbrite is the little pebbles in a cement-like product ?

Old 07-25-16, 04:13 PM
R
See the attached pics. Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology. Basically trying to say that the finish on the concrete is now noticeably brighter in a few spots due to either the chlorine sitting on it or the pumice stone. I think its the pumice stone since I did that a 2nd time and it got worse but the chlorine may have contributed as well.

Being brighter isnt a bad thing normally (good in fact) but the texture of that spot is now rough and doesnt seem like it would be like that.

Pictures attached. They dont do the best job of showcasing as its more noticeable in person. Also ignore some of the grey powder, that is from using the pumice stone. Thanks

Name:  20160725_190733 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views: 352
Size:  30.9 KB

Old 07-25-16, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I wasn't questioning your terminology. I wasn't quite sure what the material actually was.

I'd think it was shiny and smooth from the pumice stone.

Old 07-25-16, 04:37 PM
R
Gotcha. Im not sure the material but Im in south FL and I am fairly certain all the pools down here are concrete and the diamondbrite material on top for the finish.

Based on your comment the odd thing is that the shiny part (part with pumice stone applied) is not smooth, I can actually feel little bits of pebbles on my fingers when I touch with my hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: