Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Some serious wrinkles in in-ground vinyl-lined pool!

Old 09-25-16, 12:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our 18x36 in-ground pool is 30 years old. We replaced the liner approx. 7 years ago. This year a couple of wrinkles appeared around the drain, which didn't affect anything at first.

Over the course of the summer the wrinkles grew and some small ones appeared in the shallower areas. See photo. The drain is 8-10" in diameter. The auto pool cleaner gets stuck on the wrinkles. We are losing no water to leakage.

As this summer was miserably hot, we decided to take no action until the fall, as we didn't want to be without our pool for any length of time.

Now is the time to figure out what is happening, get rid of the wrinkles, and hopefully take whatever action necessary to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Where do I start?

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-16, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm not the pro on vinyl pools but I have a few questions.

Bad water chemistry as well as high chlorine levels can cause wrinkles but usually there is fading too. I don't see any fading there.

It looks more like the liner has shifted as you can see it being pulled past the drain.
What is the material under the liner ?

Repairing wrinkles is an art. I'm not sure it's something I would attempt.
I can tell you.... don't empty the pool completely to fix the wrinkles as they could become worse.

Old 09-25-16, 05:23 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
From what I remember when the new liner was installed, the bottom and most of the sides were cement, with some metal plates covering the top couple of feet around the perimeter.

Old 09-26-16, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm not really sure what to recommend here. Obviously since there is cement under the liner there is a real good chance that it has not shifted and the liner has.

My thought is that the cover has slid down the sidewall. It's just strange that it took so long to happen.

I think at this point I'd call a pool company in for an estimate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: