How often do I need to run my hot tub?

Old 02-26-17, 11:28 AM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How often do I need to run my hot tub?

I don't use my hot tub very often...maybe once or twice a month. How often do I have to run the hot tub? At the moment, I've set my hot tub temperature to between cool and warm and schedule it to run from 8AM-10PM everyday. I think that explains my high electric bills. I am wondering if there is a better way of managing my hot tub while keeping it clear and clean. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Old 02-26-17, 12:49 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
When you say run your hot tub are you refering to the time the pumps come on to circulate through the filter/heater?

Newer tubs have a small 1/4 hp recirculation pump that runs 24/7 and this goes pulls through the filter and heater.

Old 02-26-17, 02:33 PM
C
Yes, I think that is correct. I just owned the house that came with the hot tub and I'm not sure how often I should let the pumps come on to circulate through the filter/heater. My hot tub is about 20 years old now, I think.

Old 02-26-17, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
When I owned one, I would set it to come on something like 4 times a day and run for 1 hr. Of course I was using it constantly so the heater would come on also to keep the temp up. It could be set to just a filter cycle that starts fast, then drops to slow and runs about 15-30 min. Mine was a whole marriage ago, so must have been about 25 yrs and not a top of the line model, but a good brand.

As cheap as electronics are, can't imagine you don't have lots of options in settings.

Old 02-27-17, 02:13 AM
So an older unit, not going to be much help since mine is a different set up. I guess just scale back the time and see how the water quality goes, at some point you'll see the change.

Old 02-27-17, 05:23 AM
C
This is my hot tub. If I only need to run the motor for filtering the water and no heating the water, can I just dial the temperature knob to the cool area, depress all the three black buttons for heat, blower, and jets?

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  27.5 KB

Another quick question, the two air dial knob, do I turn it counter-clockwise to have more foam or less?

Old 02-27-17, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Whew...old is an understatement. As to your air adjustments...you shouldn't really have foam. It should sorta look like rapidly boiling water. Foam normally indicates bad water chemistry. Might need a dose of anti-foam. Clean the filter well first.

Aren't there little pictograms on the tabs of the dials? Otherwise just turn them full CW and CCW with jets on and see what gives the most.

Maybe one of the Pro's will have a clue as to operation of the rest of the panel, but I sure don't.

Old 02-28-17, 11:46 AM
C
What anti-form do I need? Recommendations?

Old 02-28-17, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Anything they sell at WM or HD or Menards is fine. It's just a small bottle that clumps up the stuff that causes foam (skin oils, lotions, hair products, etc) and allows the filter to trap them. Normally a cap full is plenty to start. If really bad maybe 2.

Old 02-28-17, 03:16 PM
What anti-form do I need? Recommendations?
Yea, it's time for a water change. If you have enough crud in the water that it foams then it's time to change it out and scrub it down. Every 3-4 months is about normal.

As far as the dial, I agree, that's an old set up. Your going to have to just play around and with them to understand their function.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: