How to get rid of mustard algae

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-09-17, 06:22 AM
B
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 310
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How to get rid of mustard algae

I have an ongoing problem with mustard algae in my 10000 gal. in-ground pool.
Can anyone tell me what the recommended step-by-step procedure is to get rid of it?????
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-09-17, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,663
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I don't know the answer but you might want to stop by your local pool supply store. They would know. They should also be able test a sample of your water to tell just what it needed.
 
  #3  
Old 08-09-17, 03:39 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,179
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I only get the pink algae here. The yellow is found in warmer climates....like where you are. It is not easy to get rid of. Everything needs to be cleaned and disinfected. You'll need the water to be checked for proper PH balance and then it will need to be triple shocked.

Rather then post all the steps here. This is site has it well explained.
how-to-get-rid-of-mustard-yellow-algae-in-a-pool
 
  #4  
Old 08-10-17, 08:47 AM
F
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 236
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shock

You probably have the algae in your filter/equipment, so even when you appear to get rid of it with a normal chlorine shock, it recurs. It might also be that some survives a shock just above the water line. The key is to get rid of it all, so nothing is left to regenerate.

The approach to deal with it is fill the pool water level up high to sanitize above the normal water line, and triple shock the pool for two or three days with chlorine, making sure the shock water is circulating continuously throughout the equipment. Would be appropriate to first clean out the filter and soak with some bleach directly in it for a while before doing the shock routine.

In the future, make sure you have your pump equipment on and circulating at least half of the day, otherwise the water that sits in the equipment can be the breeding ground for the algae again.

Heavy shocking can alter the ph, so you will have to read the ph and alter with other ph up/down chemicals to maximize the shock effectiveness, and balance the water chemistry after the shocking is done.

I would use the non stabilized chlorine to shock, and keep the pool covered while doing this (the sun will degrade the non stable chlorine very quickly). Stabilized chlorine will withstand the sun, but the high chlorine level can be hard to reduce after the shock process to get back to normal swim levels.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: