Care for small electric motors ?

Old 09-03-17, 02:55 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Care for small electric motors ?

We have a few small electric motors/pumps outside - I think generally they are 3/4 to 1 1/4 hp like motors. I use the pool pump several times and week and it is obvious how I would prime it if needed. We also have 1 electric pump whose purpose is to move water from a ground storage tank (which normally feed the sprinkler system) but which can also move the water to a tank on the roof where it will feed the house via gravity. That pump is closed. How would I prime it - how would I even know if it needed to be primed ? Would I have to take apart the plumbing ?

Over the years I have had to replace motors which have burned up - like when the bearing go. Is there any way I can perform maintenance on a motor (like on the pool pump) to extend its life - or is it just a matter of waiting until it is dead and replace it ?

Thanks

Old 09-03-17, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Any time the pump is above the water supply..... unless there is a check valve installed..... the water will drain out of the system. As long as there are no leaks between the pump and the storage tank.... the pump should pick up the prime quickly.

You could install a check valve in the line between the pump and the water tank to reduce long priming periods.

As far as care for smaller motors..... other than keeping them shielded from the weather.... there isn't much maintenance that can be done. Most of the bearings are considered lifetime lubricated which means there is nothing to oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: