Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

NEC Clearance Concerns for Garage Install of Endless Pool

Old 05-06-18, 12:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to put a small Endless Pool (7x14) in my garage. The garage is about 18x24. Space wise, I want to put it 4' from windowed wall. It will run lenghwise toware the back of the garage. My problem is trying to understand the NEC art 680 for distance requirements. My wall outlets are GFCI protected, but on at least one wall the distance will be less than 5' from pool wall to outlet. Of additional concern is the ceiling. It's 8' and the pool will be under some of the ceiling lighting and the garage door opener. It will again be less than 5' feet. Can I put GFCI CB in panel for lights and the GDO outlet or am I at an impasse? Thanks for any input

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-18, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
...... in the garage ? That's a first.

You mean in the floor or a free standing thing ??

Old 05-06-18, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
IF you want to put the pool there you will need to make quite a few changes to the garage.

Receptacles cannot be closer to the spa then 6', you need at least one within 10'. If they are closer then 6' the will need to be removed and blanked off. This includes the garage door opener receptacle.

All receptacles within 10' need to be GFCI protected.

Any lights less then 12' but not less then 7'6" need to be GFCI protected. Any lights closer then 7'6" need to be damp located approved. Also need to be recessed with a non-metallic covered trim (or isolated) or surface mounted with a glass or plastic globe and nonmetallic body. This would likely also include the garage door opener.

IMO this is a bad place to put a swim spa.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: