beam repair on Anthony pool

Old 09-11-18, 04:31 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
beam repair on Anthony pool

I am having my Anthony gunite (concrete) pool repaired. There was some beam damage, which is the about 6" high gunite area just below the coping (brick like edge) and sites on top of the gunite shell. part of the cost is based on how much damage need to be repaired. The guy came to repair it and was using a jackhammer in the space between the concrete pool deck and coping, pushing it down vertically and prying. I thought this was strange as doing that would destroy all the beam! I mentioned it to the boss on the phone and was told that worker has been doing this for 20 years, blah, blah, blah. My wife said she doesn't remember them doing this 17 years ago when it was last repaired. she thought they went horizontally below coping. That would seem more reasonable. take off old coping, then check the beam below with sledge to see what is loose? hoping someone has some experience with this type of repair. Before they started work, you could tap the coping with rod and hear hollow sound in areas where there was either damage to beam or at least separation of coping from beam. It was maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of pool.

Old 09-11-18, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If I did that on my pool it would probably crack the coping.

I've never heard it called a beam. I have a Sylvan pool built in approx 1972. It's a 20x40x 9' deep. Back then Anthony and Sylvan were competing companies. Now they are one. Your pool uses Gunite and mine uses "sprayed on by high pressure" concrete with a plaster coating. Almost the same thing.

The diagram below is approx what I have for my construction. I have had tiles come loose in the pool and the ground behind and below the coping has eroded. It hasn't been fun but I've done all the work myself.

Name:  Pool Coping.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 09-11-18, 05:22 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
my pool built in 70's too. Wife didn't buy house till 99. Basically the shell is done, then on top of sheel more gunite placed that extends over foot wide for placement of coping. Your diagram shows a widening of the concrete below coping. Mine also has plaster over the gunite. So that was cracked as well and it was at the tile line so lot of tile cracked. I didn't want to tackle all that myself.

Old 09-11-18, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yeah..... it's a lot of work. I've always lived here so the maintenance has been kept up to date. I've had to remove tiles, scrap the backs to remove the mortar to reuse them. The white area directly behind the blue tile looks like it should be all concrete but I've found sand/dirt not far behind the tile line.

My expansion joints between the deck and coping need to be redone again. A real pain.
I have two hollow sounding copings I'll be picking up next year.
I just replied as I've done the work you are doing. I don't do this at all for a living.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: