Pool leak, at filter??

Old 01-27-19, 08:38 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pool leak, at filter??

Hello! My pool level keeps going down gradually, where I need to add water every 4-5 days. I noticed a small "drip" leak at the filter bulk head, which you can see via the following link (short video showing the leak speed):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z9PWrJHQob23u6ZQ6

I thought it was strange that a leak this slow would cause such a draw in my water level.

Name:  filter.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  45.0 KB

Then the other day, I realized the ground at my pool equipment was extremely saturated, and even caused significant puddling in neighbor's year over the fence. My neighbor said he noticed that for several months (consistent with my drawing water level).

(I can't seem to embed the pictures, so here's a link to the pictures in a Google Photos album)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VdVt9fv8WEA7g2M57

So, I think I have an additional leak, but I can't trace it to any specific pipe at my equipment. In fact, it almost appears to be at the base of my filter. Is this possible, common?

I was thinking about opening my filter, removing the cartridges, and looking for any cracks at the bottom of the filter. In fact, I suppose I can fill it with water and see if I observe any leak there with the equipment off.

Any other recommendations?
For the slow bulk head leak, is there a type of sealant I can use to stop the leak, or must I replace the entire bulk head?

Thanks!

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added pic from video
Old 01-27-19, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I didn't see you had additional pictures. I was just looking thru them. I've never seen a pump connected like that. The pump input is usually sized to the size of the supply line.... not reduced.

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  56.1 KB

That is not enough of a leak to lose that much water. Depending on how hot it is.... that dripping water should almost be evaporated before it hits the grass. Hard to tell if it's the tank. I do see a lot of water outside the fence. Possibly in the pump area. Remember this..... with the pump running..... the leak can only be on the return side of the system. All the other lines are under vacuum and can't leak water unless the pump is turned off. Between the pump and the valve and the tank is under pressure.

As far as the leaking fitting..... hard to tell exactly where it's leaking. Those big nuts can leak. Try tightening that first. If that doesn't help..... you can remove that nut completely, unscrew the fitting from the tank, seal the threads and reinstall it. Nothing added to the outside is going to work very well or long.

Old 01-27-19, 10:10 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!

Those big nuts can leak. Try tightening that first.
Is there a tool for this, or intended to do by hand?

Old 01-27-19, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A big pair of water pump pliers (channel locks). Strap wrench and in a pinch.... a pipe wrench used carefully. It's supposed to be tightened by hand..... if you have big hands.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: