New owner lighting and conduit entrance

Old 05-08-19, 09:45 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New owner lighting and conduit entrance

I have a few questions on lighting around my hot tub and the cable access.

First, I will be installing a gazebo this weekend over the spa. My wife purchased a set of decorative string lights that just plug into the wall. Can these lights be hung over the hot tub or are there any restrictions on temporary lighting above a hot tub? I certainly will not hang them directly over the spa, but around the perimeter of the gazebo. I'll also either zip tie or wrap the strand around the gazebos truss'. Thoughts?

Second question, when my electrician wired up the spa, he ran the conduit(~3/4") thru the electrical access hole(~1.125") on my spa. That access hole is about 3" off the ground, and with the conduit, causes a tripping hazard. If someone were to trip on the conduit, I'd fear ripping it out of the box. Is there a recommended grommet or foam that I can legally spray to seal up that entrance location?

Lastly, sticking the same spot as the conduit, I'm looking to build a small wooden platform or step to go over the conduit. I don't have a lot of exposed concrete left after dropping the hot tub on there, and will have even less when I get the gazebo posts mounted. Has anyone made a small deck to sit on top of the concrete pad? I'm thinking just some treated lumber, make a frame around the concrete, add some support, then add in some top boards. The goal is to make it as close to the concrete as possible so I don't have to add in a step down to my yard.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-19, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Not sure of code for lights over a spa but I can make two recommendations..... 1) they must be on a GFI circuit and 2) they cannot be reachable from the spa.... even standing on the side/bench.

I wouldn't spray any foam in the wiring access area. A bench or step over it sounds like a good idea. A picture of what you have there would be helpful for recommendations. How-to-insert-pictures.