Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

New hot tub with ozonator. Chemicals: bromine levels?

Old 10-04-19, 11:46 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello friends,I am desperate for some non-biased advice/wisdom about how to manage the chemicals in my hot tub. I recently purchased this, which is also known as the 'bahama' or the 'antigua' depending upon the company selling it.https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...-kbkg1007.html

So.. it seems that most of the hot tub savvy humans recommend Bromine over Chlorine for small hot-tubs, for more stability and less maintenance, and less risk of caustic chemical skin/eye irritation. However, my manufacturing company booklet states i should maintain a 3-5ppm of Bromine, whereas the interwebs advice has stated that with an ozonator, there should be a 1-3ppm level maintained. Additionally, my booklet states i should never use a tablet/floater, but i get the impression that this is because they don't want to increase the likelihood of my cover/shell deteriorating more quickly by breaking down from trapped/marinating chemical fumes(and therefore a use of their warranty to obtain a new one).

In following the directions of my chemical kit, i have yet to achieve a bromine level above 1. Even after adding more, and then using a floater (against the booklet's advice). After 5 days there is no evidence of problematic bacteria (what i was told is to look for skin rashes, smells, water discoloration, and film on top. Also all other levels tested (ph, etc.) have been within correct ranges.

So my question is: Do i really need a 3-5ppm bromine level? And if so, how can i achieve this, when i already followed the instructions (and then some) for bromine addition, and still have been unable to reach those levels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: