Is the hot tub safe?

Old 04-08-23, 05:32 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is the hot tub safe?

Hello. I'm renting an AirBnB with a saltwater hot tub.

When I got here, the hot tub was at 80 degrees and I didn't see any chlorine tablets in the floater and some dirt in the bottom. I'm not sure the last time salt was added. I have instructions on how to drain and refill.

What is the best way to move forward to ensure it is safe.
• Increase the heat to 104 degrees, add two chlorine tablets and salt. Then wait a few hours.
• Drain the tub, wipe it down, refill, heat it and add the chlorine and wait a few hours.

I'm not sure what could grow in sitting 80 degree water.

Old 04-09-23, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,117 Upvotes on 1,896 Posts
What did you circle and why?

If it is a salt water system they will not use chlorine products. That's what the salt is for. An electronic device splits the salt molecules to use the chloride atoms to make chlorine. So instead of the roller coaster up and down chlorine level you get by adding chlorine periodically the salt system generates chlorine continuously and maintains a stable chlorine level in the water that you usually cannot smell or taste. The only way to know it's there is with a test.

If you are renting you should not be doing spa maintenance. Do it wrong and you can damage the spa. It is important that the water chemistry is correct in a spa. The hot water of a spa makes it's care more fussy than a pool.

And really, a spa in an AirBnB??? Think hot tub at a Club Med in the 80's, better known as the "gene pool". I wouldn't invest the time & effort to do a deep clean of someone's else's rental spa when I'm on vacation. Or, have a few cocktails and don't think about it.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-10-23, 11:10 AM
Received 53 Upvotes on 46 Posts
Are you sure it's a salt water hot tub? I've never heard of such a thing unless it's a spa attached to a pool, sharing its water. A stand-alone hot tub needs to be emptied and refiled periodically, which would dump the salt with the water.

Without a test kit to determine the status of the water, I'd skip going into an unknown spa.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog...a-basic-guide/

Old 04-10-23, 12:33 PM
Received 53 Upvotes on 46 Posts
I must have missed that you have instructions to drain and fill. If you're going to stay at the airbnb long enough, that could be worthwhile, assuming the required chemicals are available. And hopefully there's a vacuum or some kind of cleaner to get the dirt out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: