Possible to polish ceramic cookware?

Old 01-10-24, 10:32 PM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Possible to polish ceramic cookware?

I have a couple of GreenPans, probably around 3 years old - I notice that over time the flat bottom inner surface has acquired a slightly but noticeably more matte gloss than the curved sides, clearly because the bottom is what experiences most of the use and heat. They're still in what I would call good condition - I always limit the heat to low to medium per my electric coil cooktop and use only wood or silicone utensils even though they claim you can use metal utensils. Anything that needs higher heat I use stainless or my carbon steel wok.

I've read that over time ceramics typically lose some of their non-stick property. Maybe these have but they were never as non-stick as new Teflon though a coating of cooking spray puts them in closer contention. The main advantage I've found is they're a lot tougher than Teflon which I quit using when it became clear that no matter how careful I was with them they broke down fairly quickly and also hearing about the health hazards of Teflon.

Has anyone attempted to or heard of a way to restore the new-condition gloss to them, I would guess some kind of buffing? The surface has a slight texture so there are clearly high spots, I would consider it undesirable to remove any more than a microscopic amount of material.

Leaving well enough alone is also an option.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-24, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
I know of no way to refresh or repair Teflon coated cookware. The surface erodes away with use. Polishing removes material and will actually accelerate the decline. The non-stick coatings of modern cookware is a wear item and the item needs to be replaced periodically.

RobertP voted this post useful.
Old 01-11-24, 05:06 AM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Per Pilot Dane:

I know of no way to refresh or repair Teflon coated cookware. The surface erodes away with use. Polishing removes material and will actually accelerate the decline. The non-stick coatings of modern cookware is a wear item and the item needs to be replaced periodically.
I was referring to ceramic but I'm guessing your answer is the same?

So far I haven't found any reference online to doing this but thought I'd ask.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: