Key stuck in double deadlock

Old 04-23-16, 08:10 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Key stuck in double deadlock

Hi Guys,

Yesterday the key got stuck in our lock which is a double deadlock. Strange thing is though if we turn the key for the first deadlock we can take the key out and also when we turn it again for the double deadlock.

But it will not let us remove the key when the door is unlocked, which up until yesterday afternoon we always could do.

Any ideas what the problem is and how we can put it right please?

Old 04-23-16, 05:52 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Your title does not indicate what country you're from, but you describe a lock much more commonly found in Europe than the US. I think it's what we call a "double-throw" deadbolt, requiring 2 full turns of the key or thumbturn to fully extend or retract the bolt. My initial impression is that something has come loose inside the lock that is blocking the bolt from fully retracting, and so preventing the key from completing it's full travel to the withdrawal position. You may have to take it apart to discover the problem.

Other than that, a couple of photos to show the configuration of the lock might give us further clues. If it's an "interconnected" type lock, the internal linkages may be fouled up.

Old 04-25-16, 01:31 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Yes you are right I live in Europe, Spain to be exact. Strange thing is I have tried the lock this morning and it is now working completely fine. I can now take the key out in the unlocked and locked position. So whatever went wrong at the weekend has now put itself right again.

Thanks all the same.

Old 04-25-16, 08:09 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
If it suddenly put itself right, it might as easily put itself wrong again....I'd be inclined to take it apart anyway, you might discover what was hanging. It'd give you a chance to dab a little grease on the bolt guides and operating cam (but not in the keyhole) which would extend it's life, as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: