Replacing Schlage deadbolt-stuck in door

Old 05-06-16, 11:36 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Schlage deadbolt-stuck in door

Hello!

First time home buyer here...so I'm just getting into the DIY world!

I'm replacing all the locks...starting with the Schlage deadbolt on the door to the backyard.

I easily removed the cylinder and thumbturn, my issue is with the deadbolt. I unscrewed the two screws and it won't come out of the door. I've watched videos that suggest putting a screwdriver thru the hole in the latch and pulling...I used a drillbit and it broke in half! It isn't budging.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Old 05-06-16, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,416 Posts
You may need to carefully pry behind the back of the latch. If its not coming right out its probably a drive in style with a slip on face plate.

Other times you can put a long skinny screwdriver through the latch or behind it, then either pull on both sides of the screwdriver to pull the latch out toward you ot tap the side of the screwdriver forward with a hammer to help push it out.

Old 05-06-16, 12:25 PM
S
thanks, i'll try screwdriver/hammer this evening. I basically tried the skinny screwdriver but with the drillbit and it snapped.

If I'm struggling, I'll take/post some pictures of it.

Old 05-06-16, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,416 Posts
Drill bits are hardened steel and as you foubd out, they snap easily. A pry bar behind the latch would be best.

Old 05-07-16, 09:12 PM
R
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Use box cutter blade/Exacto knife, etc to score around the bolt faceplate.

And I've never failed to get a Schlage bolt out using a long #2 Phillips screwdriver whose shaft just fits thru one of the thru-post holes, (do the one nearest the door edge). Brace your knee against the edge of the door, and grab the handle with one hand and the protruding shaft with the other, and pull. One time I ended up on my butt, but I got it out!

Old 05-09-16, 07:13 AM
S
thanks to you both for the replies. I used a combination of all and got it out! Hammering the screwdriver from the inside was key! Also had to do a little carving to install the new deadbolt.

thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: