Video anywhere showing cylinder release?

Old 08-16-17, 09:07 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Video anywhere showing cylinder release?

The key that used to work from the garage to the house stopped working at some point in the last ten years. I don't use it much. I'd like to check the pins, but using Google and YouTube I have not found a video that shows how with this type of lock. The nearby deadbolt on the front door is labeled Kwikset, but neither knobs are labeled with anything. Does anyone know where a video is for this kind of door knob (showing how to release the cylinder)? Photos of it attached.

Attached Images    
Old 08-16-17, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Looks like a Schlage lock. If it has the hole in behind the knob.... it should come apart. See if this video helps you.

you tube/watch?v=RAVyU5osp9E

Old 08-17-17, 07:45 AM
G
Thanks for the video. The four locks he disassembles involve manipulating the long rod, but the side of knob with the cylinder is the one on the left in each of my photos. i.e., no rod. There are no poke holes. Presumably I need to insert something into the rod hole on the left (bottom photo).

Old 08-17-17, 12:22 PM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
To these old eyes it looks like you have a Dexter knoblock. Insert the key, turn it 180 degrees clockwise and pull the cylinder assembly out of the knob. Reverse to reinsert.

Old 08-18-17, 06:37 AM
G
I watched a video on a Dexter and it does seem pretty close. The last step requires either the key to work (mine doesn't), to pick the lock (I have no tools), or to unscrew two inner screws which my lock doesn't have. I will either take it to a locksmith or just replace it.

Thanks, all.

Old 08-20-17, 08:07 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Agree with thisoldman, looks like a 70's era Dexter, and tho I've not seen any videos about it, I think the 2 screws referred to are the tiny Phillips screws holding the steel locking disc to the back of the plug...and I don't think they're easy to get to thru the square hole in the chassis. At any rate, these were pretty flimsy cheap locks and not worth fooling with. A locksmith will charge more to work on it than you could go to big box store and replace with similar imported Grade 3.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: