Timber front door dropped about 4/5 mm now locks don't go in

Old 03-05-18, 02:42 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Timber front door dropped about 4/5 mm now locks don't go in

HI,

Climate has been very dry for a couple of months then big rain so maybe this has caused this..

The door is the biggest middle of a three door all-in-one set.

We have a deadlock 2/3 thirds up and then a regular inside twist lock (with key) at the normal place.

We have been away for 2 weeks (when it rained) and now the door locks will not quite go into the frame holes.

Should I just chisel into the holes and make them bigger and replace the brass key hole plate a little lower or...

Thanks

oz

Old 03-05-18, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No I would not chisel anything just yet. If you can post a picture that shows the entire door from the inside, we might have some ideas for you. If you can check things for level and plumb that would help too. Check plumb with a 78" level placed flat on the door and slid over to the hinges with the door closed. Tell us what the gap on top of the door is... i would assume the door is rubbing as it closes?

The door apparently is not protected from the rain and gets wet? Assume that since you mentioned the rain lately.

If the head of the door is not level, the floor may be getting wet under the door, expanding and swelling, pushing that side of the door up. Just guessing.

Triple doors are the worst for staying plumb. You can't screw the hinges to the framing if the operating door is in the center. Racking the entire frame is the answer, assuming it's no longer plumb.

Old 03-05-18, 04:14 PM
O
Thank you I will get back with that info as soon as I can.

Old 03-06-18, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If the door has sagged meaning the bolt is now too low to hit the hole in the strike plate then you may need to tighten the hinge mounting screws in the door frame. Usually it's the top hinge but also check the middle one.

Old 03-06-18, 06:24 AM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
This is a frequent problem here in north-central Texas, where the expansive clay soils expand and contract with changes in moisture. If your house is on slab, cracks in the foundation around the door can sure cause the misalignment. Echoing previous advice, make sure the top hinge screws are tight, and assuming the door(s) have not fallen to the extent that they drag the threshold, the usual quick fix is to file the strike plate(s) and chisel the wood as necessary for increased tolerance. If the door(s) are dragging the threshold, and you have plenty of tolerance at the header, the usual method of raising the door is to shim the top and bottom hinges. There's a bit of an art to hinge shimming, as you must understand the geometry involved, but it works great for small changes.

Old 03-07-18, 12:40 AM
O
Thanks guys for t time and help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: