Secure vinyl double hung??

Old 05-10-18, 10:30 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Secure vinyl double hung??

What is the best way to secure a double hung vinyl/pvc replacment window?

On my wood double hung windows I drilled thru a corner of one sash into half of the other sash and put a piece of metal dowel into them. That seems to work good but I dont think I can do this with vinyl windows?

Old 05-10-18, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You probably could do the same thing...but I wouldn't I don't think. Most replacement windows have little ventilation stops that you can pop out to allow it to only open a few inches...do yours? If so, wouldn't that be adequate?

I guess, if you drilled the holes the right size, you could use small white pop in plugs to cover the holes later if needed. Find the plugs at a local hardware store first and make sure you don't drill all the way though the outer sash.

Old 05-10-18, 11:22 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont think I have ventilation stops like you describe....

Im a little leary of drilling them in that same fashion too. They are wood covered in vinyl correct? Im not even sure that would work because they have the unlocking mechanism for pull out cleaning in the vicinity of where I drilled on the wood windows.

I have a long wood dowel slid between the top of bottom sash to top of frame above. But if the glass is broken, that does little good.

Old 05-10-18, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, most vinyl replacements are just extruded vinyl with channels and nooks and crannies and sometimes foam insulation. The better brands (like Anderson Renewal...not their 100/200 or Silverline series) use a composite wood with a wood veneer interior and PVC exterior.

Nothing will help if the glass is broken out. Even the rod you have won't help much if they are double hung windows. The top could be jimmied almost as easily as the bottom. Of course, single hung don't have that issue...but few/no replacements in my experience are SH.

I believe they make specialty locks that can be attached to the interior of the sash...but IMO they are quite ugly and not that strong anyway.

The rod you have might be the most cost effective way for a little piece of mind. I would consider adding lighting and keeping exterior sightlines to your windows clear if it still concerns you. Beyond that, an alarm system or cameras...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: