Door Handle Issues

Old 08-20-18, 10:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Door Handle Issues

Hello all! This is my first message on the forum, so please be gentle.

I moved into the house I currently occupy two years ago and it has all the same style of door handle (see the attached picture). Over the past few weeks, I've noticed what I can only describe as "handle droop' (again, see the picture). I'm concerned about it because it sometimes interferes with proper latching.

This is happening in both the exterior and interior doors of the house. I've tried tightening the small hex bolt on the interior of the handle, but it was already very tight. Can anyone please advise me on how to proceed with fixing this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-18, 02:12 PM
T
Received 197 Upvotes on 173 Posts
I've been retired a number of years and don't recognize that trim. Open the door and look on the plate of a latchbolt and deadbolt for a brand name. Posting that will speed things along.

Old 08-20-18, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the tip, ThisOldMan! The name on the bolt is Emtek.

Last edited by rpbusek; 08-20-18 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-22-18, 09:37 AM
T
Received 197 Upvotes on 173 Posts
Emtek is what I called a limited specialty manufacturer. They most likely design and make (or have made) the visible trim for the hardware, but buy the mechanical portion from a major manufacturer.

Most of their levers appear to be cast, which makes them heavy, which adds to the possibility of droop. Instead of having different lock bodies for different weight levers, an assist spring or assembly is usually designed into the inside and outside trim.

Their website is here. Hopefully you will be able to find what you need there. Good Luck!!

Old 08-22-18, 08:00 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Emtek is known for their wide selection of decorative hardware, more than for the mechanical reliability. The weak link in most square spindle designs, going back 200 years has been the inadequate set screw arrangement. (Assuming this is the case here).

These locks are costly enough that the manufacturer should provide replacement parts.

Other than that, can you loosen the set screw and remove the lever? By doing so, you might discover that the set screw will only go so far into the lever hole, before the threads start to bind, ie., the set screw hole may not have been tapped deep enough. You may also discover that the fit between the spindle and the lever hole has become sloppy due to the continued use while loose.
One idea that worked for me once was, having noted that, when tight (or at least, as tight as I could get it) the set screw was so short that it left a few threads uncovered. So by replacing the stock set screw with one a bit longer, so as to engage all the available threads, AND applying red threadlocker, it stayed put. Of course, Locktite Red is designed for use where subsequent disassembly will not be anticipated...

Old 09-06-18, 09:24 AM
the handle return spring is probably bent. Inexpensive to replace. parts available at some locksmith shops

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: