Storm door inside handle opens latch but outside handle doesn't

Old 09-30-18, 07:07 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Storm door inside handle opens latch but outside handle doesn't

It started with the outside handle not moving the latch all the way out so it took a nudge to pop the door open. Now it's to the point that the outside handle doesn't move the latch enough to open the door unless I take a chance on breaking it.

The inside handle pulls the latch all the way which is great but someone has to be home to let someone else in.

Is this fixable within a reasonable effort or am I staring down the barrel of the arduous exercise of finding a matching replacement handle?

Attached Images    
Old 09-30-18, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well it's 2 screws to take it apart, so if wouldn't be afraid to simply take it apart and squirt a little wd40 pfte in there. It's probably just gummed up.

Old 09-30-18, 10:45 AM
M
I took it apart and soaked it in PB Blaster. Waited about an hour and put it back together. There is a pin that activates the latch. From the inside it's more direct but from the outside, turning the handle actually pushes the pin inwards which brings the latch back as opposed to the twisting motion of simply twisting the latch back.
For that reason if the screws start to come a little bit loose then there is a greater distance and so the pushing isn't as effective.
This is kind of what's happened here so I tightened the screws ultra-tight and it seems to be working now. Thank you

Old 09-30-18, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just a note...thats a common handle setup and could easily be completely replaced for maybe $ 25, much less if you don't need the lock.

Old 09-30-18, 08:18 PM
M
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Just a note...thats a common handle setup and could easily be completely replaced for maybe $ 25, much less if you don't need the lock.
Good to know, thanks.
I don't really need the lock since I have a deadbolt on the main door

Old 09-30-18, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Could change it to the push button style for less than $10, I bet.

Old 10-01-18, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
They make a nice pivot lever (where the whole handle lifts, not just a button) that's less than $15 at HD, prob less online. More for different finishes of course. https://www.homedepot.com/p/IDEAL-Se...-203553460-_-N

Old 10-01-18, 12:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
looks like you got it repaired...well done. perhaps shortening the connecting screws (about 2 threads) might enable a tighter fit.

Old 10-01-18, 01:18 PM
M
I think I'll ride this out until it breaks down again and if it's the same easy fix I'll do it and if not then I'll take Gunguys suggestion on the pivot lever

Old 10-01-18, 02:16 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
It is possible that parts have simply worn out. Under normal use some parts rub against each other and wear away. The handle acting on the latch no longer pushes the latch far enough to disengage and allow the door to open.

"Is this fixable within a reasonable effort?"

Fixing it will be a custom job for each affected door. You might be able to tighten parts up or bend something or add a small shim that restores the needed amount of travel between parts so the latch again moves far enough to allow the door to open.

Some folks don't want to be bothered with brainstorming a repair so replacing the latch assembly is a perfectly good alternative. Admittedly some folks replace the whole door.

Old 10-08-18, 09:15 AM
M
HD had only two replacements that matched the hole offset (1.75") and door thickness.
The first one the latch didn't extend far enough to catch the latch receptacle on the door frame, not even close.
The second one used a thick square turning bolt which didn't fit through the hold in the middle that the skinny turning extension was able to fit through.

Option a) drill out the middle hold wider to accommodate the thick turning bolt.
Option b) leave all the hardware off and have a storm door that doesn't require and handle on either end. (Doubt the wind would blow it off since it sits "into" the door frame and would be hard for wind to catch the lip and pull it away from the frame.

Old 10-08-18, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
No problem drilling out the center hole for the new hardware. It was probably a 5/16" hole... drill whatever hole your new instructions call for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: