1960's dead bolt lock

Old 02-15-19, 08:20 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1960's dead bolt lock

I have an old 1960's man door with a dead bolt that I don't have a key for on my garage. I am sure people on here know what is the easiest way to deal with this. The hole in the door is much smaller and closer to the door edge than a normal lock that they make now. Opinions?

1. Pull the old lock off and get keyed?
2. Buy a specialty dead bolt online and replace it?
3. Redrill door (if even possible) to fit a new lock?
4. Light garage on fire and rebuild new?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-19, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Redrill the door for a new deadbolt, assuming a 2 1/8 hole will cover your smaller hole. What I like to do is take a board and clamp it over the hole. Mark your back set (2 3/8 or 2 3/4) on that board... make sure you are at the same exact height as the center of the old hole, then drill through the board and the door at the same time. The board will act as a guide for the hole saw. (You need that since there is nothing for the pilot drill bit to follow).

If your latch happens to be too small, you can wallow it out with a conical rasp or a rasp drill bit.

Door knob plates are available if you need to surround the new deadbolt with something in order to cover the old hole. (Such as if the hole saw doesn't completely catch the entire old hole).

Old 02-15-19, 12:25 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
awesome - thanks, I knew someone on here would know exactly what to do.

Old 02-15-19, 09:30 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Take a few photos including the brand name and close up of the keyhole, stop by your local locksmith, show the pics, they should be able to tell you how much the fee would be if you brought it in to have keys made.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: