Front door alignment

Old 11-25-23, 07:27 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Front door alignment

Hi all,

Rookie here, so please forgive my basic question. My front door doesnít close tight - basically if itís closed, I canít turn my dead bolt unless I push the door in at the same time.

The hardware plates on the door and jam seem to be in position - meaning I canít really adjust the positions - so Iím not sure how I can fix this.

Sorry if my description is vague, but I was hoping that someone maybe able to help based on your own experiences.

Thanks all,
Rob

Old 11-25-23, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Hard to answer that without being there... but it's not uncommon to have to adjust the strike plates. You have 2 strike plates. Latch and deadbolt. The one for the door knob latch will usually have a tang that has a slotted hole where the latch falls into place. You can make a minor adjustment on that by inserting a narrow slotted screwdriver into that metal slot, then bend that tab by prying gently on the screwdriver. As you bend it, it will cause the door to latch just a little tighter when you close it.

If that doesn't give you enough adjustment to make the deadbolt latch easily, you can do 1 of 2 things.

Grind the front edge of the hole in the deadbolt strikeplate to enlarge it. Or remove the latch strike plate, drill out the holes and glue short pieces of dowel or golf tee in... then cut those flush and drill new holes that are about 1/8" closer to the door stop. That will move the door over. Grinding the strike plate is usually easiest. I usually use a drill and something like this. You slide it up and down while keeping pressure on the front edge of the strike plate as the drill is running to file out the metal. Just don't burn your hand as you do it. The tendency is to hold onto the drill chuck for leverage, but that will get hot in a hurry.

Old 11-26-23, 07:55 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much, Iíll give these a try today.

Rob

Old 11-26-23, 12:35 PM
R
Received 46 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Adding to XSleeper's advice, door sag can contribute to the problem; so check the tightness of the top hinge screws. Sagging can cause the door bottom to drag on the threshold and resist fully closing.

Old 11-27-23, 03:46 AM
M
Received 296 Upvotes on 266 Posts
Check your weather stripping.
Did it ever close easily?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: