Is this the proper way of attaching a downspout?

Old 07-14-15, 05:45 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this the proper way of attaching a downspout?

I removed my downspout from the gutter the other day to clean it out and extend it. I was a little disappointed when I saw how it was attached. The installer simply cut a hole in the gutter, bent the flaps down and screwed the downspout into those. I would have thought there would be some sort of outlet pushed through the hole that the pipe would attach to. Because of this seemingly shoddy work, one of my downspouts that is two stories up (which I have no means of reaching) has detached from the gutter and the water spills out the hole.

Have a look at the attached photo. Is that the proper way to make an outlet hole in the gutter and attach a downspout?

Name:  gutter.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  20.3 KB

Last edited by kanatamike; 07-14-15 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Because this ridiculous forum software won't accept a URL or an upload over 1 MB.
Old 07-14-15, 05:56 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
No idea what where even looking at with that close up.
Not even seeing a gutter.
Just looks like an outside corner someone hit with an ax.

Old 07-14-15, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No, that's a complete hack job. A hole is cut, a collar (not sure of the term) is installed and riveted/caulked in place or a proper formed end is used.

Unless this is new, you are SOL and it's all on you.

I'd guess this was prior homeowner installed? Is it in 10ft sections?

I dunno why Joe doesn't see it, I understand perfectly.

Old 07-15-15, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It was clear to me too. You want something like this - Shop Spectra 3-in x 2-in K Style Gutter Drop Outlet at Lowes.com

Old 07-15-15, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I have seen some guys do this, but yes, its substandard work. A proper outlet can still be cut in.

Old 07-15-15, 06:08 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I must have not had my glasses on or something, I agree it's plan to see what it is.
Sorry about that.

Old 07-19-15, 06:27 PM
K
Thanks folks. I was pretty sure this was substandard. I had it installed a few years ago, but I didn't inspect it post install since, at the time, I couldn't get up on a ladder (serious balance issues due to a head injury). I'm really still not willing to climb more than about 4 feet off the ground (outside at least), so I can't really repair this myself. I guess I'll have to get someone to repair this. I've got 6 downspouts on the house, but I don't think it will be too expensive.

Old 07-19-15, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It will be more expensive than you think most likely. Having to do the cutting on a ladder might be an issue. They may want to take the gutters down, do the work, then put them back up.

Old 07-12-16, 09:33 PM
N
Unbelievable

I have this exact same issue. This picture is literally exactly what it looks like from the ground looking up to the hole left where downspout detached from house. Thank you so much for the photo, this forum -- and google, which brought me right here. I'm mad now, yet it's also rewarding to have one's suspicions (that this was half-a$$ed work) validated. Now if only I could get the half-a$$es who did it back to fix it. That's not going to happen! I have the same issue too with accessibility. So tired of paying good money only to find out after the fact that the work was substandard. It's happened repeatedly. Seems every time I have something "done" I'm left with even more stuff to fix! Roofers, painters, you name it. Who would ever think to ask "what method do you use to attach the gutters to the downspouts"? Not me! Not in a million years. Anyway, I know this was a long time ago, but thought what the heck. Just thought I'd say thanks to the universe. At least I know it was wrong now and there is a solution. So thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: