waterproofing wood gazebo and aluminum roof

Old 01-28-16, 04:47 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
waterproofing wood gazebo and aluminum roof

Hello All,
I am requesting advice for a two part question:

I purchased a cedar wood 12 x 12 gazebo from costco. The four support legs and framework is made of cedar wood. The roof is made of aluminum.

I am interested in the following:

1) How to seal the cedar wood: is oil based or water based clear sealer is recommended? What is the best way to apply the sealer: Brush, HPLV canister connected to a compressor, or one those wand based devices (similar to the one used for bug killer usage)

2) The aluminum roof, where two pieces of metal meet, I'd like to put some sort of a sealer such as silicone or something similar. What is recommended that could take the summer high temps that could be upto 100 degrees ?

Thinking long term, I would imagine every couple of years, I would need to apply a fresh coat of sealer to the wood. If it makes sense to invest in some tool that will be beneficial, I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 01-28-16, 05:02 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Others will dis-agree with me, but I would use Thompson's sealer or one of the Flood's brand. And yes every couple years a fresh coat will be needed, especially those surfaces that are exposed to direct sunlight. As far as the roof goes if really necessary I would use a high temp gasket seal made by Loctite or similar company.

Old 01-29-16, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A lot depends on the climate you live in. While Thompson's WaterSeal does a good job of protecting the wood from moisture it has a short life [often only 6 months] and offers little protection against discoloration [greying of the wood]

I really like the look of Flood's CWF but if there is intense sunlight [think fla] it too has a short life and may need to be redone yearly. It can last several years - depends on the environment. Toner or translucent stains fair a little better. A semi-transparent stain generally last the longest of all options that allow the wood to show. Oil base stains tend to seal the wood better but waterborne stains tend to last longer in the sun.

Generally brush application is best as it will work the coating into the wood. Sprayed on coatings benefit from being back brushed/rolled [working the sprayed coating into the wood]

Old 02-09-16, 04:09 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies. After additional research, I decided to use the flood UV5 cedar stain. I'm about 30% done with the staining process and like the results so far.

Regarding Thompson's waterseal product, I have used it in the past on a few garden projects such as on a trellis and a few buddha statue pedestals. Unfortunately, it didn't stand up to the elements all that long. I live in the outskirts of Los Angeles (around 45 miles east of downtown los angeles), the sun can get toasty during the summer months. I found myself reapplying right around the next year.

I am hoping the flood product will perform better than thompson's :-)

Thanks again for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: