Low pitch roof options.

Old 02-12-16, 07:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low pitch roof options.

rebuilding my rotten porch. No real redesign, but wanted to consider different roof alternatives for low pitch structures. I haven't determined the rise/run. It's extremely shallow. It had a 4' or 5' wide asphalt product that spanned the entire width. Looked to be rolled on. Rafters are 2x6s spaced 16". Looking to find something that a DIYer can do without buying too many new specialized tools. Thanks.

Old 02-12-16, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Shallow pitches are usually best covered using metal roofing. No horizontal sams to leak, and water seems to have less friction for run off.

Old 02-12-16, 08:02 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll look into them. They would have vertical seams, right?
Porch is 14'x14'. How are horizontal seams eliminated? Does it come in rolls?

Old 02-13-16, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Depending on the type of metal roof you get, they normally come in 2' or 3' widths [plus overlap] 2' roofing comes in predetermined lengths but the 3' can be ordered at any length. You'll still need flashing where the porch roof meets the house roof.

Old 02-13-16, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Lower quality galvanized roof panels at home centers only come in 8 and 12' lengths but are really only intended for sheds. Higher quality metal roofing is usually ordered for the job and cut to the length and color needed. There would be no horizontal seams. If you decide to go that route your next decision will be picking which roofing.

Probably the most popular has one panel simply lay over the next and uses screws with rubber washers to hold it down. The screws are visible and each one is a potential leak point but it's easy to install and doesn't require any special tools so a lot more people install it. Another type has no visible fasteners. The exposed edge of a panel has clips that get screwed down to your roof to hold it down. Then the next panel is placed over and a special seaming tool folds the vertical lip over sealing it. It's a cleaner look and doesn't have all the potential leak points from exposed screws but because of the special crimping tools fewer people install it.

Old 02-13-16, 05:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Lower quality galvanized roof panels at home centers only come in 8 and 12' lengths but are really only intended for sheds
That is the 5 v-crimp metal roofing and is what I have on my house and out bldgs. While the big box stores only carry those two lengths you can get it in several other lengths [6',10',14'] the actual width is 26" providing a 2" overlap at the seams. It also comes in different gauges [thickness]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: