Roofing Repairs Gone Bad?

Old 04-01-16, 03:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roofing Repairs Gone Bad?

Good Afternoon!

I am just posting to get some opinions. I recently had a small issue when a storm came through and ripped up some of my flashing that connected the roof to the car port. It caused a small(think quarter size) wet spot in the kitchen so I called out a roofing company to fix the flashing since I feel I'd probably make it worse doing it myself!

So long story short they caused a MUCH bigger leak on a whole different section and have had to come out 4 times since initial repair for a shoddy job. This last time I got up on the roof before a storm was coming in just to check things out and here is what I found and what im seeking opinion on.

They basically bent up the shingles and put a bunch of tar under them which you can see from the crease marks. The roof is only about 4 years old so prior to them getting up there everything looked good. Where it looks wet on the shingles is actually silicone. They put black tar under the last set of shingles then just siliconed everything on top.

Will this hold? I don't have a clue but it feels like this is just a temporary fix that will break next time this Texas heat warms everything up and it no longer sticks to the metal/shingles. Should I have a different company out and basically just rip off that last 1 or 2 layers and replace the shingles?

Thanks for any feedback!

Name:  3a8ffe42-6771-4992-ab88-b694b177fad6.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  46.5 KBName:  09ee63fd-df64-456f-b8ad-a1b5e5d17c52.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  50.2 KBName:  896db28c-1a4f-4fb2-b888-0b5bc81d52fb.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  25.9 KBName:  2633bfa5-5276-4161-8a19-d33d1a9fbd09.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  49.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-16, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What that crew did was not in the form of a "roofer", but someone who didn't know what they were doing. Would it be possible for you to post pictures standing further back from the ground showing the two roofs together. Silicone is never used as they have used it. Silicone will deteriorate with sunlight, and poking tar under the shingles showed their lack of experience.

Old 04-07-16, 06:11 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Chandler for getting back to me, for some reason it didn't email me saying there was a response so I never checked it! I will try to get some more pictures. I just called the owner and he said pretty much the same thing. He said "using the silicone is pretty sketchy" so hes going to come back out and look at whats going on. This will be their 5th or 6th trip out at this point for what was just a simple job that probably could have been fixed with some tar and 1 nail. I'm not a roofer so cant say for sure but pretty sure I could have fixed it at this point and not had this headache.