Choosing Ladders

Old 04-07-16, 12:29 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Choosing Ladders

Hi, sorry for the off-topic question, but since I didn't see a proper forum I thought to go to the one where people are likely very qualified to answer.

I am in the market for a ladder and pretty sold on getting a multi-function ladder, rather than extension. I was looking at the Werner MT1-22 and the MT-22, both obviously 22 feet in extension. The MT1-22 is a Type1a and rated for 250lbs, and the other is rated for 300. I do not weigh anywhere near 250 and zero chance of me exceeding that with tools or materials, but maybe heavier one is not be as bouncy, etc.? If the price was similar it would not be a question, but the Type1a is on sale for $99 while the heavier is $199, so we're not taking pennies. Would you either from safety or comfort choose the heavier ladder regardless of the price?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-07-16, 12:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
22' is pretty far for a ladder - will you ever have to extend it that far?

Old 04-07-16, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't own any of those types of ladders but have worked off of step and extension ladders my whole life. Based on the similar ratings for other ladders, I'd expect either one to do fine. The weight rating isn't just a weight rating but rather an indication of how heavy duty the ladder is. I detest a type III ladder [200lb] which is rated as homeowner duty but IMO is too flimsy and really gets wobbly with age/use. Some of my short ladders are Type II [225lb] but most are Type I [250lb] IMO Werner makes the best ladders.

Old 04-07-16, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I dont see the MT1-22 on the werner web site..

Only the m22 shows up.. If I had a source to compare them I can give a definite answer..

But from lifes lessons often other similar numbered models are often discontinued and why the 99 buck price tag..

Often they were discontinued from what I know because the product had issues possibly..

Per the werner site I would want the latest and greatest MT 22 what is shown on the web site.. Just the extra 50 lb capacity sells me...

Old 04-07-16, 12:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
The Little Giant style ladders are much more versatile than Werner ladders, especially if you want to use it on a staircase.

Old 04-07-16, 12:49 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I'm with Mike....Those multi-function ladders come in handy, but the different configurations place a lot of strain on the pivots and latches and beefier is better. Just be aware that they are heavy.

Old 04-07-16, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The Little Giant style ladders are much more versatile than Werner ladders, especially if you want to use it on a staircase.
Im pretty sure they do the same thing.. In fact little giant recently lowered their prices to match werners online..

Old 04-07-16, 01:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Im pretty sure they do the same thing.
I had a Little Giant style ladder but sold it when I moved. A year later, I moved again & bought a Werner, at a flea market. That mistake was added to the long list of mistakes in the past. The Werner folds in 3 sections while the Little Giant only folds in half but telescopes. There is no telescope in the Werner, at least the model that I have & is way harder to handle.

Old 04-07-16, 01:14 PM
T
Both the MT1-22 and the MT-22 are on the HD website:

Multi-Position Ladders - Ladders - Â*The Home Depot

They don't provide much additional information though: one weighs about 9 lbs more than the other. I don't think it's been discontinued, I think they just don't advertise it as an option. The lighter MT1 went on sale today, and I had never seen it listed before.

Someone asked the use. I will primarily use it to clean gutters and at most to get to my second story windows. I have a cape so reaching the roof is not a problem. I suppose that's another question though, would a 22 ft be enough? The foundation is about 4 feet and the ceilings are 8 feet on the first floor and the windows on the second floor are not high, the top being maybe 5 feet from the floor. If I had to guess, that's about 17 to 18 feet vertical. I suspect I may be pushing it for that use.

Old 04-07-16, 01:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Any special reason not to buy an extension ladder?

Old 04-07-16, 01:26 PM
T
I never even considered them until a contractor friend recommended it. In fact, I hated them since they weigh a ton. But he really sold me on the versatility of it. Having a taller step ladder would come in handy. Plus, I like how these ladders have the flared base at the bottom. Seems like that would make them more stable.

Old 04-07-16, 02:32 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Little giant sells adjustable leg extensions for their ladders; I assume Werner does as well. They are wonderful for uneven ground (and isn't all ground uneven when you need a ladder?), but you have to buy two of them otherwise it is always on the wrong leg! If it's just for indoors then never mind.

I agree the ladders feel a lot more stable. I'm not ladder shy, but I always feel more comfortable on the little giant than on my other ladders, even though I have nothing but 1A's.

Old 04-07-16, 02:47 PM
T
You know, I think I said something earlier that was incorrect. The lighter one is a Type 1 and the heavier is Type 1A. You may have picked up on it given the 250 versus 300 weights, but nonetheless.

Old 04-07-16, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I use extension ladders only if someone is dying in a second floor window, but I have them just the same. I also use my Gorilla fiberglas ladders a lot. My helpers hate them because the are so heavy, but once they are on site, with flared legs, and the ability to break down the halves to two "v"s for saw horses or walk boards is good. Mine came with extra pivots for that purpose.

Have you considered extension wands for window cleaning and gutter debris removal. I like standing on the ground whenever possible.

Old 04-07-16, 03:21 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I have a variety of ladders, step, extension, and my all around favorite Little Giant. If I had to cut back to one ladder, that's the one that I would keep. It fits in the bed of the pickup with the gate closed, and still makes an 11' step ladder or 22' extension ladder. But it's not always my first choice. For interior painting, I actually prefer the lighter duty, hence lighter weight 6' step ladder that I bought for the wife to use around the house. North of 60, and I can hold a paint can and brush in one hand and easily pick up and move the ladder from one place to the next with the other hand without dragging it. In the shop, for changing fluorescent bulbs, etc., I like my 12' Werner step ladder. For getting onto the roof of our ranch home with a hip roof, it I don't feel like messing with a standoff, I sometimes use a lighter weight 13' I think it is aluminum extension ladder. Point is, there are a lot of choices, and no single ladder is going to be the best fit for everything. For the purpose that you described, a Little Giant or something comparable is ideal because they are solid and stable, but most likely heavier than a comparable length extension ladder, although not necessarily. Say you're cleaning out your gutters; are you going to have the ladder within 10' of entrance cables or other electrical lines? Then you should be looking at fiberglass. As far as class, yes, heavier rating can often equate to better, but there is also the matter of raising and lowering it, and there are safety concerns there as well, so you don't want to go overboard. The first thing that I would do is carefully walk the perimeter of the house, figuring where the ladder needs to be set to accomplish what is needed, measure as needed, paying particular attention to where the ladder will set on the ground, and where it will rest against the house. If it's going to rest against gutters, could you use a standoff? And if you're going to go onto the roof at such points, keep in mind that the ladder should extend about 3' beyond the point of contact. Well, these are my thoughts anyway, but now the wife wants to go out to dinner, so have fun!

Old 04-07-16, 08:50 PM
T
Thanks for everyone's help. Went out and bought the lighter version tonight and kept the extra $100 for the heavier version in my pocket. I also figured the highest height needed to be about 21'. Anything higher and I have no business being up there. So, if my high school geometry teacher knew what he was talking about, 22' should be fine, assuming the rule of thumb of 1 foot out for every 4 feet up is okay. Again, thanks for everyone's help, I am glad I posted my question here. Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: