Repair roof shingle color match to the old shingles

Old 04-20-16, 08:56 PM
A
aro
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair roof shingle color match to the old shingles

I have a roofer coming over to fix the wall flashing and install the kick out flashing where needed. He recommended to replace the shingles around the wall. He said that Home Depot or Lowes carry shingles and colors will be close enough or identical. Should I be concerned that shingle will not match and repaired area will stand out? What are you guys doing in situations like this? The current roof was replace on 2008.

Name:  The wall flashing 1.JPG
Views: 4432
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  The wall flashing 2.jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 2985
Size:  50.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Replaced shingles will not match exactly. The sun has been fading yours for 9 yrs. Sometimes even a different lot/ batch of shingles made the same year won't match. I don't know why he would need to replace shingles to fix that flashing. Any careful roofer could do it without damaging them.

Old 04-21-16, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 630 Votes on 582 Posts
You should consider yourself lucky if they can find shingles that match well enough to not be noticeable. Even new shingles from batch to batch vary and I've even seen roofs with lines or zones of color variation where the color changes throughout the production run. Add in 8 or 9 years fading and the chances for a match diminish even further. But... you may not have an option. If your existing shingles are damaged trying to remove them to do the flashing you have to put shingles back on the roof somehow. Obviously saving as many of the old shingles would be the best cosmetically but it can require a careful hand which slows down the work.

Old 04-21-16, 06:23 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Some of the newer dimensional shingles I've tried to remove to do a simple repair job where stuck together so tight that even a flat bar and a hammer would not get them apart.
Looks like the same roofer that install your "sort of flashing" also did all the roofs in my area, including mine until I changed it.
Must have been a sale on aluminum foil at the grocery store