Need to install ridge vent until roof can be replaced

Old 05-17-16, 12:13 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to install ridge vent until roof can be replaced

I purchased a home recently and the inspection revealed that there were at least two asphalt layers on the roof. The seller stated that the roof had just been done in September 2015. The inspector recommended having a ridge vent installed.

I looked in the attic spaces over the house and garage and could see that the ridge sheathing was already cut out from a previous vent. I went up on the roof of the garage, hoping to find that the most recent re-roof had just covered over the opening on the ridge. Instead I found that the ridge has 12 layers of shingles all the way down to the wood (I know that it's common practice to double-cap the ridge). I'm assuming this means that the roof on the entire house may have up to 6 layers. Yeah.

We're not able to pay for a completely new roof at this time, as I imagine it would be close to $10,000 to tear off all of the layers and start fresh. My question is: should I still install a ridge vent immediately to help extend it until we can take care of everything else?

Please let me know what you think.

Old 05-17-16, 12:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If it really has that many layers, I would be concerned about the weight and tearing off right away.

I would also be looking to the seller to recoup some cost, this is not reasonable in my mind (but statute may say otherwise...).

Old 05-17-16, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The roofers I use won't even consider roofing over a layer (one maybe). They insist on complete tear off. This gets down to faulty places in your decking that can be repaired. Yeah it creates more money for them if they find faults, but it saves you in the long run from future water damage. Adding to more than two layers on a roof will certainly add too much weight by the time you add your snow load. 6 layers is unheard of

Old 05-17-16, 03:48 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Are there any other vents in the attic, gable ends and soffits? What climate zone are you in, cold country, hot, or in between?

Bud

Old 05-19-16, 12:16 PM
G
We did negotiate some money from the seller to do repairs. We were planning to use that to replace most of the windows, but the roof is turning into a much bigger priority, literally. We're gonna replace the whole thing in a few weeks.

Thanks for your response!

Old 05-19-16, 12:20 PM
G
There are intake soffit vents, and it looks like the roof did have a ridge vent installed many years ago (I can see the cutout in the attic). I live in the Midwestern U.S.

Old 05-19-16, 12:27 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
That's good news and it is an upgrade that sounds long overdue. There are calculations to guide you on the amount of soffit venting you need. Basically, a full length ridge vent (less a foot or so on each end) provides more than enough vent area, you just need the soffit NFA to provide the incoming air path.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: