Channel guard flashing ?

Old 05-22-16, 05:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Channel guard flashing ?

We have a contemporary house (think the Brady bunch house), where vertical siding runs into a lower roof on separate part of the house.
Roof was replaced 3 years ago. Had leaks in this area last Septemebr. Roofer came out and put more caulk in that area. Said that hard freeze previous winter ...... da da da....... Just had another leak this past weekend.
Is their a type of flashing called channel guard? Should it have been standard on roof replacement on a contemporary house? even if not standard, i want to ask for it now, as leaks every 6 months is not what i want to deal with. What is correct terminology to ask for? I am thinking it is channel something, and that it is not neccessarily called flashing. Length of this area is approximately 14' long. Would roofer be able to re-use the current shingles? Would all shingles from this part of the roof need to be removed to put down the channel guard, or just about 3' wide or so? This section of the roof is 20~ wide
Any other comments ?
Sorry no pics

Thanks

Old 05-22-16, 07:48 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Time to find another roofer, one who is willing to remove as much siding and roofing as necessary to install the proper flashing at this often troublesome intersection.

Here's a link that shows how to flash and counter-flash the wall/roof intersection. This example shows horizontal siding, but vertical is done the same way. https://www.nachi.org/flashing-part2-13.htm

Good luck with your project!

Old 05-22-16, 01:11 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
A roofer shows up with caulking in his hand to repair a new roof was the first red flag something was done wrong.

Old 05-22-16, 01:14 PM
J
Only Channel Guard I've heard of is on a metal roof.
Texas Rib / Channel Guard - Central Texas Metal Roofing Supply Co., Inc.

Old 07-07-16, 07:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was finally able to get some pictures. It is my Mom's house......
1st picture - Shows the vertical wall where the leak is probably at. Leak in the house is under this junction. Near the lowest point of the roof.
2nd & 3rd pictures are supposed to be closeups of the lower roof, near the vertical wall. I cannot see any flashing under the shingles, just a lot of caulk on top. Which is not working great.

Roof is less than 3 years old.....
Leaking started after just 2 years since total new roof was put on.

What is the particular terminology that i need to ask for - flashing?
Should i have had to request this, or should this have been part of the normal roof replacement?

Thanks

Attachment 68189

Name:  IMG_0535.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0534.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  41.5 KB

Old 07-07-16, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
To flash it correctly the siding should come off. Then step flashing is installed to flash one wall/shingle intersection onto the next. Then siding can go back on.

Roofers who caulk instead of using metal flashing should be whipped.

Old 07-08-16, 05:26 AM
J
That siding and J molding should never had been installed that close to the shingles.
It should have been at least 2" above the shingles.
No roofer I've ever met "want's" to mess with the siding, there going to try and work around what's there, if they where advised that's where the leaking was happening then the siding should have been removed to see what the issue is.
They do not have X ray vision.
Often times I find where someone has driven a nail to close to the wall through the step flashing on the roof.
When I do mine I step flash then add counter flashing (may be the word your looking for) .
My counter flashing runs 6" up the wall and at least 4 to 6" out over the shingles.
I add a small bend where it sits on the shingles to add strength to the coil stock and keep it from oil canning.
There is no need to nail the shingles to the sheathing any closer then 6" from the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: