Drip Edge on Gable End

Old 06-07-16, 07:48 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drip Edge on Gable End

I am about to wrap up siding on a gable end. I will be using PVC 1" x 6" with a 1" x 2" over that for the trim. Somebody here in the forums suggested that I install a drip edge on the gable end while I am at it, which I assume goes over the 1" x 2". The builder never installed one. There are architectural shingles on the roof. Is there any suggestions on how to nail down the drip edge? The shingles are not as easy to bend back as a traditional three tab shingle so I am afraid that I will ruin them when trying to pry them back.

Old 06-07-16, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your 1x2 plus the drip edge will surely extend beyond the current edge of your shingles. I would add the drip edge the next time you plan to shingle your roof.

Old 06-08-16, 04:37 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Will the 1x6 and 1x2 (either or both) extend beyond the current shingles, or is there enough overhang to cover them?

Bud

Old 06-08-16, 05:07 PM
C
The old pine that I pulled off did not extend past the shingles nor will the new PVC that I plan to install. There is an overhang of the roof shingles. The pine seems to have lasted 20 years or so with no damage to the edge of the roof sheathing that is behind it.

Old 06-12-16, 06:49 AM
C
The old pine that I pulled off did not extend past the shingles nor will the new PVC that I plan to install. There is an overhang of the roof shingles. The pine seems to have lasted 20 years or so with no damage to the edge of the roof sheathing that is behind it.

Old 06-22-16, 04:21 AM
C

Old 06-22-16, 06:07 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Chad, sorry for not following up. I just refreshed my memory, sometime it has a half life of days or hours, but your reply says your new shingles do overhang the current 1x6 and the 1x2 so when the pvc is installed the shingles will still overhang them. That's good but, a metal drip edge provides alip that forces the water to fall off or run down where a 90° edge invites that water to run back against the 1x6.

Since you are using pvc there is less risk of water damage to those surfaces and as you said, the old pine lasted many years. Basically I would do as X said, add a drip edge with the next shingle replacement, which might be 30 years, Or, if those new shingles will lift just a bit, see how far under them you could slide a new drip edge. Start with a 4" drip edge and trim it to where it can be slid under the shingles. Surface nail with white AL nails every foot or so. Pre-drill holes and use a set punch so you don't damage the edge and it will look just fine and hold perfectly. Takes some extra time but you aren't working by the hour. Only concern I would have is to be sure the new drip edge is fully under the shingles so it will not invite water back between the shingles and the drip edge.

Comments and corrections from the pros are welcome.

Hope this helps, but using just the pvc isn't bad.

Bud

Old 06-22-16, 09:15 AM
C
The roof shingles are not new. They are actually close to 20 years old. I'll be happy to get 5 more years out of them. I might do more harm then good by trying to pry them to install a drip edge. The pine lasted 20 years so I would think the PVC would not be an issue. I'll look closer at it, but I might just wait until the roof is redone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: