Who to call for maintenance on a sunroom roof

Old 06-09-16, 04:10 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who to call for maintenance on a sunroom roof

I have an elderly friend who has a sunroom installed on the back of her house and it sits on a deck. The room is maybe 12x12. The room was installed about 20+ years ago. She is looking for someone to check and possibly seal the roof even though there are no leaks. The room is inexpensive being made of sliding glass doors on three sides. The back side of the room is the outside wall of her house. The roof appears to be constructed of 2x4's with the roof being perhaps plywood sheathing with maybe sheet metal over top of the sheathing and then some type of white coating to seal the roof seams. She has called some companies that sell sunrooms and all they want to do is sell her a new room. I am not sure a regular roofing company would even quote on such a small job. Who should she call to have the roof checked and maybe resealed?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-16, 04:38 AM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
There's several possible answers to your question. At the core of it though is why she thinks she needs anything. My suggestion is to contact a local contractor dealing in roofing. If what's needed is sealing joints, it's not a big job.

Old 06-09-16, 04:54 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Tony P., I was going to suggest the same thing as you. But most companies won't touch a small job like this for a couple reasons. 1. too small and it won't pay the for labor or material. 2. if structure is not to code they may not want to get "involved" in a possible problem.

I think her best move is try find a handyman (such as the OP) who is willing to take on an inspection and then if needed do a repair or re-coat with no strings attached. In other words write up a contract relieving handyman of any resulting problems that might be had. No a great solution but the best I can think of. Another concern is what kind if weight is now on the roof and can it withstand another coat of sealer or roofing or whatever?

Old 06-09-16, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,108 Votes on 1,028 Posts
I think her best move is try find a handyman (such as the OP) who is willing to take on an inspection and then if needed do a repair or re-coat with no strings attached.
Not following you Norm.... such as the OP ?

Old 06-09-16, 05:11 AM
The Original Poster is asking this for a friend. Re-read the first post. I'm suggesting Carrol B
who seems to know what she (or he) is talking about actually do t he inspection and the work.

Old 06-09-16, 06:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not sure why she thinks the roof needs to be checked. Looking at the construction in may have met code when it was installed over 20 years ago but no way it would by today's standards. The roof is only a little over 6 foot above the deck, about 4 inches higher than the sliding glass doors. (Wish I had taken a couple of pictures I could post). Looking at the thickness of the roof I can only assume it has no more than 2x4's for rafters and they span about 12 feet. I would not attempt to check the rook not knowing if it would hold my weight. I would hate to step on it damage the roof or worse yet fall through it and then I would feel obligated to repair it. She is in her late 80's and has been a fiend for over 25 years so I would feel responsible. I will ask a local contractor friend and see what he suggests.

Old 06-09-16, 07:29 AM
Carrol B,

Good call. I agree with everything you say. Sometimes old people (and I'm fast becoming one) feel a need to focus on a certain item whether it need attention or not. Hang in there and continue to be her friend.