Help with roof eave detaching from house?

Old 07-31-16, 01:48 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with roof eave detaching from house?

Hello I am a new poster and admittedly a non-handy person. I need to get help with an issue that is getting progressively worse. It appears my roof eave is trying to detach from the house (built 1973)? I have attached a picture of what we see on our front porch for context. I have Googled myself to death to try and figure out who to call, what is causing this, how much money it will take to fix, but I just can't get anywhere. Hoping you all can help give me direction on next steps. It looks like at one time someone tried to patch this up with a new layer of black "something" but it is not holding anymore. Name:  Roof 2.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  36.1 KB

Old 07-31-16, 01:57 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Step back 10-12' and post a picture so everyone can have a better idea of what you have going on. Looks so far like there is inadequate support, along with other issues that others can probably better address, but hard to tell at this point.

Old 07-31-16, 02:55 PM
H
Thank you. I have some pics from further back on the porch but I am getting error messages when trying to upload here - I'll try again later.

Old 07-31-16, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Old 08-01-16, 01:46 PM
H
Thank you! Here are some pics from further back.
Name:  Roof 4.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  14.2 KBName:  Roof 5.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  13.2 KB

Old 08-01-16, 01:53 PM
J
Looks like the rake board. Need a better picture to see the 'big picture'.

Old 08-01-16, 02:02 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Well, it looks like you are correct. That type of soffit is a fake soffit simply attached to the side of the house. A normal soffit would be an extension of the rafters and would not likely detach.

From what looks like a moisture issue I'm guessing there is some damage behind that siding. Basically, from where I'm sitting that end of the soffit is going to have to come apart to identify the damage and the source. A picture from the front would also help.

Bud

Old 08-01-16, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes....a picture from the front would be good. I'm trying to figure out why that's even there.

A picture from a few feet back.... not quite this far away.
Name:  Roof 5.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  30.2 KB

Old 08-02-16, 02:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Pete. It seems to be an item put up at the last minute for no apparent reason. What does it do? I would be interested in a picture from the front of the house showing this "rooflet" in its complete composite.

I think you will find that it was attached to the house framing with nails and water has eked its way behind the flashing (if any) and shingles causing a failure in attachment.

Old 08-07-16, 01:24 PM
H
Hello, I wanted to jump on here with an update. We were able to get a review/quote from a general contractor and upon inspection (he pulled away some of the old caulk that you can see in my picture), it does not appear to be moisture damage, at least so far (fingers crossed). It seems that this is happening due to a lack of support. This piece of roof is long and heavy and was essentially secured to the house with a board and nails. You can see where the board is buckling away from the house. I've hired him to basically deconstruct this whole eave, either replace or re-secure the board to house with multiple bolts, and then reattach the eave with new soffit, and then seal/repaint the cracks. About a $1200 job but it's got to be done and at least I can enjoy my front porch view without stressing. I'll post pictures of the completed work in a week or two.

Old 08-08-16, 04:37 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have a plan.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: