Old 08-12-16, 08:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is this line across the roof?

Name:  Mallik 2016 8 10 022.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  22.2 KB

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what could be going on with this roof?

I'm looking to buy this house. The inspector noticed this line going across the roof on the back side of the house. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to get a roofer to come out and inspect it before my inspection contingency expires, so I'm trying to make an educated guess.

The house was built in 2004, so I think it's safe to assume this is the original roof. The side this is occurring on is the western side if that makes any difference. The attic fan is currently not working and it was 90+ degress outside and 130 degrees in the attic on the day this picture was taken.

I've done a little research and from what I've found, it could be plywood swelling due to lack of an expansion gap. The other thing I've found is that the original roofers may have started the job on one day and finished the next day, leaving the felt exposed to either rain or morning dew which would have caused the felt to wrinkle.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-16, 08:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I doubt the felt would wrinkle enough to be an issue. I'd want a closer inspection of the roof, preferably from the roof although looking at from the attic might provide some answers.

Old 08-12-16, 08:59 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is it a Trussed Roof . . . . with King and Queens Posts beneath certain supported rafters?

I don't think there's any alternative to having someone inspect the structural support members and see if a change in them is being telescoped via a compression web to the exterior.

Old 08-12-16, 03:14 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There's just no way from that ground taken picture to even guess what's going on.
If it was the paper getting wet the whole side of the roof would have waves not just one straight row.

Old 08-12-16, 06:56 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Do you know anyone with a drone and cam attached to get a closer picture? I would ask for an escrow of some sort to cover cost of repair if it can be determined if there is a problem at a later date. Perhaps an inspection from the inside? There should be a crawl space opening some where. Maybe in a closet or hallway. There is defiantly something going on. I would not close without some kind of monetary contingency based on professional inspection and cost to repair.

Old 08-13-16, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
The OP is somewhere in Europe, if that makes a difference.

Old 08-13-16, 07:03 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Temporary hi-jack...

I wish the registration/membership process would insist on a location or general geographical area. Any reason why not?

OK, back to your originally broadcast programing.

Old 08-15-16, 09:50 AM
M
Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately I couldn't get a roofing inspector to come out in time before my inspection contingency expired. I did talk to the inspector and she confirmed that she saw no structural issues when she was in the attic. I also talked to a friend who has a construction businesses. He suspected that it's a missing expansion joint.

The house is a short-sale, so it's sold as-is. I think I'm going to take the risk and go for it.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Cheers.

Old 08-15-16, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There is no such thing as an expansion joint on a roof. Sheathing is generally gapped by the use of h clips, maybe that is what he was referring to.

Old 08-15-16, 10:07 AM
M
You are correct. He did mention that the clips were probably not used or fell off during installation of that particular sheet. In my layman mind that equated to 'no expansion joint'.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: