Directing rain to gutter

Old 09-11-16, 07:16 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Directing rain to gutter

Hello!

I have the side edge of the roof without a gutter. The bottom edge of the roof does have a gutter. Rain comes down and then at that corner, it falls straight to the ground. How can I direct the rain into that gutter?

Leaning

Name:  WP_20160911_08_39_16_Pro.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  15.9 KBName:  WP_20160911_08_39_43_Pro.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  25.0 KB

Old 09-11-16, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your shingles are too long for one thing... they should not droop over the gable end like that. And I can't see if there is any drip edge flashing under there, but that would also be a must. (D-style drip edge projects about 1", then the shingles protrude maybe 1/4" past that. The flashing supports the shingles so that they don't droop.) Your gutters look to be sufficiently long, it's just that the shingles need to be cut back.

Old 09-11-16, 07:53 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture, but the gutter should extend sideways farther than the shingles overhang the roof. Your shingles appear to overhang more than most; perhaps this is a second layer of shingles?

Aside from extending the gutter farther, you could try installing a splash deflector wing on the end cap of the gutter and it may help if the only place the water is running off the side is right at the corner. I'd make it L-shaped. Deflectors are often used where valleys intersect gutters, but it may work in this situation as well.

Old 09-12-16, 06:31 PM
L
Tamlyn roof edge
This is the right drip edge style, right? (I can't find a picture of how it looks installed with shingles on it.)

Is this the wing? http://www.neiltortorella.com/images...600-x-1200.jpg

(I'll take some close-up pictures tomorrow.)

Old 09-12-16, 06:34 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Yes, that's the idea for the wing, except yours would need to be for an outside corner; that one is for an inside corner.

Old 09-12-16, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, that is d-style drip edge. 5" will come down onto the fascia 1", while 6" d-style will come down over the fascia 2".

And yes, your other picture is a gutter deflector... it is installed at the end of a valley. I dont think something like that is needed, I think your shingle that is too long just needs to be cut at an angle to direct the tail end of the water toward the gutter.

Old 01-26-17, 08:40 PM
L
Getting back to this project again. I took some closeup pictures today.

As I understand it, the idea is to install a drip edge on the rake edge like in this diagram:

https://buyersask.com/wp-content/upl...ng-CR-6723.gif

By supporting the shingle (rather than having it hanging down), the rain will travel along it and then into that gutter.

The only tips I have seen are 1) to wait until it is warmer so the shingles are more pliable, 2) the drip edge goes over the roof paper on the rake edge, 3) nail to the roof not the fascia, and 4) leave a 1/4" gap behind the drip edge.

That's it. Because of the weather, I don't know if I can knock this out now, but I at least want to have the supplies and a plan.
Any other knowledge anybody has about this?
Regards,
leaning

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: