Gutter/ice dam heat rope idea

Old 09-27-16, 07:41 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gutter/ice dam heat rope idea

So I know this post is kinda off-topic but I figure this would be the best place to see if anyone has input on these gutter heat ropes...

Winter is coming and I don't have a garage. I was going to attempt building a car port but with a newborn and October around the corner I doubt it's going to happen before this winter season.

So.... would the below idea work to keep the car windshields de-iced and snow free? Or do these heat ropes not put out enough radiant heat? We're talking about a windshield, so... 36"x60" approximate area?

Name:  IMG_20160927_182702026b.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  50.0 KB

Just drive in until rope is on windshield and in the morning, back out and give the wipers a go.

An yes, I know... this is there genius or the WORST idea ever. But it's better than nothing this season right?!

Old 09-27-16, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts
It's always good to run your ideas by others.

Interesting idea BUT when the snow melts you're going to have a frozen block of ice.
Ice down the side of the car and stuck in the air dam.

Old 09-27-16, 08:11 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've seen magnetic windshield covers that you just put on at night and remove in the morning....no idea if they work well or not....

Old 09-28-16, 06:10 AM
Received 311 Votes on 280 Posts
I think a better and more economical idea is the cover as Paul says and/or treat the windshield with RAINEX. It works to keep the ice and snow from sticking. Also a spray bottle of 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water works great to thaw the ice to make easy scrapping. I've been using it for the past two seasons.

Old 09-28-16, 05:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shoot. I knew it was too good to be true. Good call on the ice dam all down by the vent. Last season I used a large commercial floor door mat thrown over the windshield. It worked ok but was annoying. Trying to think of an easier solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: