Asbestos in roof shingles?

Old 10-16-16, 12:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos in roof shingles?

I was up cleaning my gutters today. They hadn't been cleaned I'd say in 5 or more years and the dirt and spruce needles was almost to the top of the gutter! We only bought the house 2 years ago.

Anyways, I was wondering what the chances of there being asbestos in the roof shingles that may get into the gutters. I cleaned the gutters out by hand and threw large clumps of dirt and old pine needles to the ground and want to run a hose to clean them more, but I didn't have the time today.

These look like what I'd consider asphalt type shingles and they seem in pretty good shape, so I don't know if they're the original installed when the house was built in 1971 or if they are replacements.

I guess I could take a picture tomorrow. I would think even if some asbestos dust got into the gutter that the water from the hose would wet it down?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-16, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Not much of a chance that 1971 shingles are original or would still look good today. Hard for us to see them from here anyway... Problem is, if you suspect they contain asbestos, the only way to know for sure is to test them. None of us are psychic- that I know of- so I doubt we will be of much help there.

Old 10-16-16, 02:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well good then maybe they are not the original nor contain asbestos because they're in really good condition from what I can make out. I can take a picture tomorrow if it's not raining.

Old 10-16-16, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Sounds good, we will keep an eye out for the pics.